Apple's iPhone 6 is outselling its bigger brother by nearly a 3-to-1 margin, report suggests

Shawn Knight

Staff member

iphone apple smartphone sales iphone 6 iphone 6 plus iphone sales

Apple’s iPhone 6 is outselling its bigger brother by nearly a 3-to-1 ratio. The question that looms is if the iPhone 6 is actually more popular or if supply constraints of the iPhone 6 Plus are skewing the results in favor of Apple’s smaller flagship.

According to a report from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners via Apple Insider, the iPhone 6 accounted for 68 percent of all iPhones sold in the US within the first 30 days of launch. The larger iPhone 6 Plus, meanwhile, represented no more than 24 percent of sales.

iphone apple smartphone sales iphone 6 iphone 6 plus iphone sales

Collectively, the new iPhones accounted for about 91 percent of all iPhones sold during the period. The remaining sales were of last year’s iPhone 5s and 5c, we’re told.

During the same time period a year ago, the then-new iPhone 5s and 5c accounted for roughly 84 percent of total iPhone sales. This shows us that consumers are more interested in this year’s new models than they were a year ago.

All things considered, it’s still unclear which model is more popular among consumers for the simple fact that Apple continues to have a tough time keeping up with demand for the iPhone 6 Plus. A quick check on Apple’s website reveals a wait time of 3-4 weeks for the larger model regardless of carrier or storage capacity.

Permalink to story.

Loving my 6 plus, but it's a big phone and certainly not for everyone. I can certainly understand why many, if not most, go for the 6. For my usage pattern, it's perfect though. I'm not really surprised that the 6 seems to be more popular, but I don't really care whether the 6 is more popular or not. With the 6 plus being so hard to find despite Apple doing their best to produce as many as they can, it's obvious that it's popular enough for Apple to keep around. That's all I need to know.

What are the sales statistics for Android phones? For every single company do they sell more of the 4.0 inches phones or more of the 5+ inches or does this conclusion only apply to iPhone? Apple users are not used to bigger phones because they are very satisfied with the smaller phone while I would venture to say that Android users are not satisfied with smaller phones and see larger phones giving them a perceived better user experience though it's a false sense . For Android phones since the companies cannot market on a better operating system it markets on hardware size. Articles like this are always underlined with a bias against Apple products without giving the reader a more honest report of the reality. If you also want to know what is the delivery time of iPhone 6 plus ask people not companies. I ordered my iPhone 6 plus over 21/2 months ago through an "official AT&T" store and they still have not delivered and unable to give a date of delivery. I called them 3 times with just promises, you say 3-6 weeks HA HA HA! Please do research before writing an article.

Back