Apple's iTunes hits new milestone with 25 billion songs sold

By Jos
Feb 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Music streaming services may be on the rise these days, but apparently that isn't doing much to slow down Apple's dominance with its a-la-carte model. The Cupertino-based firm today announced it has sold over 25 billion songs on its iTunes...

Read more
  2. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Booster Posts: 410   +42

Anyone know roughly the average profit Apple makes off a song?
  3. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 139   +19

And the worst interface for a major used program, well done Apple you rock
  4. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

Depends on if the band is a part of a big label (Roadrunner Records for example) or if it is unsigned and getting by on their own money/independent label (Rise Against in their early years). Big labels only get charged 10% while independent bands get charged 15%. However, this was back in 2007. I don't know if Apple has changed that policy. I just know they haven't changed much in terms of the iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc since 2007 :p
    Source: http://appleinsider.com/articles/07/04/23/itunes_store_a_greater_cash_crop_than_apple_implies
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,173   +506

Well they make absolutely zip from me & anyone else I know.
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,245   +213

Did some searching because I was curious too. After a few minutes I found 1 source with some information (rather than trying to compile my own from several sources), here is what I found:
    For a $10 album on iTunes the artists get $0.94. The record company takes $5.35 and Apple keeps the remaining $3.70.
    For a CD the artists get between $0.30 and $1.00 depending on their contract. Retailer and record company get the rest, I'm not sure how much the retailer takes...

So to answer your question, it seems 37 cents per song.
  7. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 115   +20

I agree the only money they get from me is on Spotify..I know its small but would they rather get that or nothing from me ever? I can't believe people actually pay $1 or more per song....Suckers :)
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

10 BUCKS FOR AN ALBUM!!! Holy cow, the last time I bought an album it cost less than a buck and that was Queen Live Killers. Granted that was back in the early 80's and on vinyl. I converted it to CD a couple of years later as I did with all my music.
  9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,245   +213

Then apparently you never stepped foot in a record store from the early 90s through early 2000s (I haven't been in one since about 2002 so I'm not sure about today), because it was pretty common for new CDs to be $16.99 or $17.99. So to me, $10 doesn't sound that bad. Although I think the last physical CDs I purchased were used ones on Amazon, which gives the same amount to the artists as it would if I would have just pirated them.
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Yeah. I used to frequent record stores in my youth.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.