Apple's iTunes hits new milestone with 25 billion songs sold

Jos

Staff

Music streaming services may be on the rise these days, but apparently that isn't doing much to slow down Apple's dominance with its a-la-carte model. The Cupertino-based firm today announced it has sold over 25 billion songs on its iTunes Store since it launched in 2003, which means a five billion song purchases were made in the roughly five months since the company announced its last milestone.

The 25 billionth song, “Monkey Drums” (Goksel Vancin Remix) by Chase Buch, was purchased by Phillip Lüpke from Germany who will receive a €10,000 iTunes Gift Card.

Apple took the opportunity to throw a few other impressive figures at us, with the company’s VP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue noting that iTunes is averaging 15,000 song sales per minute, and the service's reach has grown to 119 countries around the world with a catalog of over 26 million songs.

Apple's iTunes has become the number one music retailer in the world in its relatively short 10-year run. And while selling 25 billion songs is a huge milestone, that's just part of the story for the platform, which has also logged over 40 billion app downloads since 2008 -- almost half of them in 2012.

Permalink to story.

Anyone know roughly the average profit Apple makes off a song?
Depends on if the band is a part of a big label (Roadrunner Records for example) or if it is unsigned and getting by on their own money/independent label (Rise Against in their early years). Big labels only get charged 10% while independent bands get charged 15%. However, this was back in 2007. I don't know if Apple has changed that policy. I just know they haven't changed much in terms of the iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc since 2007 :p
Source: http://appleinsider.com/articles/07/04/23/itunes_store_a_greater_cash_crop_than_apple_implies

Anyone know roughly the average profit Apple makes off a song?
Did some searching because I was curious too. After a few minutes I found 1 source with some information (rather than trying to compile my own from several sources), here is what I found:
For a $10 album on iTunes the artists get $0.94. The record company takes $5.35 and Apple keeps the remaining $3.70.
For a CD the artists get between $0.30 and $1.00 depending on their contract. Retailer and record company get the rest, I'm not sure how much the retailer takes...

So to answer your question, it seems 37 cents per song.

I agree the only money they get from me is on Spotify..I know its small but would they rather get that or nothing from me ever? I can't believe people actually pay $1 or more per song....Suckers :)

10 BUCKS FOR AN ALBUM!!! Holy cow, the last time I bought an album it cost less than a buck and that was Queen Live Killers. Granted that was back in the early 80's and on vinyl. I converted it to CD a couple of years later as I did with all my music.

10 BUCKS FOR AN ALBUM!!! Holy cow, the last time I bought an album it cost less than a buck and that was Queen Live Killers. Granted that was back in the early 80's and on vinyl. I converted it to CD a couple of years later as I did with all my music.
Then apparently you never stepped foot in a record store from the early 90s through early 2000s (I haven't been in one since about 2002 so I'm not sure about today), because it was pretty common for new CDs to be $16.99 or $17.99. So to me, $10 doesn't sound that bad. Although I think the last physical CDs I purchased were used ones on Amazon, which gives the same amount to the artists as it would if I would have just pirated them.

Then apparently you never stepped foot in a record store from the early 90s through early 2000s (I haven't been in one since about 2002 so I'm not sure about today), because it was pretty common for new CDs to be $16.99 or $17.99. So to me, $10 doesn't sound that bad. Although I think the last physical CDs I purchased were used ones on Amazon, which gives the same amount to the artists as it would if I would have just pirated them.
Yeah. I used to frequent record stores in my youth.

Back