TechSpot

Application event logs and folder redirection

By LookinAround
Dec 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I'm helping a community center running Windows Server 2003 SP2. I've found user Folder Redirection is failing and these two events occur in the local computer;s Application event log. I have some suspicions.. Anyone have more info pertaining to these events?

> Event ID 1085 Source Userenv
    > Event ID: 109 Source: Folder Redirection

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,022   +591

3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Events

Here you go LA! Zip file is attached. :)

Hi jobeard! It's been a while! Hope all is well

Attached Files:

4. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Topic Starter Posts: 6,491   +183

I keep meaning to update this thread! Probem solved!

Thank you both for your input. :) Here's what i found if it might help anyone else reading this thread in the future.

I traced folder redirection failure back to incorrect access permissions on file fdeploy.ini. What I learned along the way
    > Every Group Policy object (GPO) has its own fdeploy.ini file
    > So one should check the fdeploy.ini file for each GPO that's applied to the local computer and user (not just the GPO that sets folder redirection)

Although I don't know how or why file permissions were changed on the file but once I fixed permissions the problem was also fixed.

Here's a couple links that also helped
    > Troubleshooting Group Policy: Folder Redirection encounters errors and redirection fails
    > Fixing Group Policy problems by using log files

5. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Thanks for the info LA. Several of the current rogue programs are playing havoc with the group policy settings. For instance, the System Restore malware likes to do this:
    6. Sets Policies:
    "NoChangingWallPaper" = '1'
    "Explorer "NoDesktop" = '1'
    "DisableTaskMgr" = '1'

I've saved both links.