Application failed to initialize. 00x00005

Using Win XP SP3.

Started getting this error. I feel it is some OS file corruption. I have performed a OS Repair and have reloaded Windows .NET v4. Have always used several anti-spyware and anti-virus programs reguarly.

Computer seems to have history of getting file corruption from time to time. I think it is because of power outages (last few seconds). We seem to get alot of them. I am using a APC UPC but it is about 7 yrs old.

Found several references in forum, but most are from posts years ago and different situations. I am finding many applications that when start give this error. Not sure what is commonly being invoked at program startup or what I need to reload since a Win XP Repair did not resolve.

I know Win XP support expires soon, and will move to Win 7, but need many programs to run again to prepare move.

Have you run checks on the hard drive or memory?

Yes. When I first started getting the error, I ran thru several anti-spyware programs such as SuperAntiSpyware Free, Spybot Seek and Destroy as well as my default Norton Security Suite.
I did run a memory test and passed. I used SpinRite on several levels on the hard drive as well as mfg extended test and all passed.

I have had system files corrupted in the past and had to do a complete reload as in brand new system. Would love to know how to prevent these system files from becoming corrupt. I have always thought power surges/outages were cause even though I use a old UPS.
While searching internet for solutions I came across several of your posts and you seem very detailed and patient in working with users. Thought I would love to pick your brains. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
I use an APC 1000 UPS that's about 12 years old. I have changed the batteries twice in that time. The UPS was intended to run a server tower. Now it only protects a single PC system. I am very concerned about your choices of protection especially using anything Norton. You are asking for instability problems galore. I would suggest that you remove all the "cleaning" and Norton programs to see if the old XP computer runs more stable. How much memory is installed?

Back