TechSpot

Applications won't start (even Notepad!)

By Jerson F
Jan 31, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I left my HP elitebook 6930p idle for 5 hours, after which I noticed that I cannot open any applications. When I try to open an application via clicking an icon, my laptop won't respond (even notepad won't open). Note that the hard drive indicator drive is surprisingly inactive during that time. I can open windows explorer though, but it takes some time to load a page. The screen does not freeze (I can sitll move my cursor), but when I attempt to shut down it gets stuck on the wallpaper before fading [supposedly] to the loading screen. Please help!D:

2. Jerson F

Jerson F TS Rookie Topic Starter

UPDATE: I noticed when the network adapter was off the laptop ran fine. When I turn it on, everything slooows down, and the things above happen

3. TheHawk

TheHawk TS Enthusiast Posts: 192   +7

Hey Jerson F. I don't like the sound of that. How was it connected, to your home network and was it connected by cable or used wirelessly?. Do you know if it was downloading a really big file, maybe a movie,etc. To slow up a pc that much makes me wonder if the pc isn't under the control of someone. Do you run and use good Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware programs?

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,469   +327

Check the POWER profile - - laptops have profiles for A/C vs Battery so set the A/C at least to NEVER shutdown the HD,
    but only hibernate after x hours.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.