Arbitrary Rebooting as well as other annoyances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malice

There appears to be nothing blatantly wrong with my computer as all scans seem to pick nothing up, but I just wanted to post here to completely rule out software as the source of the problem. My computer reboots for no reason and some programs just decide not to respond until I reboot. These seem to happen without cause and it very well may be something wrong with the hardware, or it's overheating or something. However, I would greatly appreciate if someone looked at my HJT log to make sure all is well. Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I had tried attaching but for some reason it wouldn't work or it was just taking too long, but I've got it there now.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Unfortunately, it seems you`ve forgotten to attach you HJT log.

Take a look at this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

My computer just rebooted again and this time I copied the error code: C:\DOCUME~1\Spencer\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7c99.dir00\Mini121206-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Spencer\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7c99.dir00\sysdata.xml

I also checked Event Viewer to see what it said and this is it:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x100000d1 (0xf678cc60, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf6737a80). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini121206-01.dmp.

I sent the error report and on the web page it opened it stated that my computer restarted due to an unknown driver device. Any ideas on how to cure this?

Your HJT log is clean, therefore I think your problem is caused by either faulty hardware or software(drivers).

I have moved your thread to our Windows OS forum.

Go and take a look at this thread HERE and post the results in this thread. I`m sure someone will be along to help you.

Regards Howard :)

Alright, so my computer just rebooted again. I'll give you some information surrounding it that may or may not help. I left it on for about four and a half hours with Azureus open and uploading, I come back and it has rebooted. Unfortunately I use CCleaner often so I only have one minidump. Here are the specs of my computer:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Motherboard: Asus M2N4 SLI
Ram Speed, size and #sticks: 1 stick of 1 Gb 667Mhz RAM
GPU: BFG nVidia GeForce 7900 GT OC 256mb (I also overclocked it just slightly more than it had been overclocked)
PSU: 400 Watts

Are you sure that it's not a faulty or weak power supply? It seems to me that for the card you have, that power supply might not be big enough. Do you have another one handy that you could try in that system?

--kitty

No, I don't have one around, although I did suspect that the power supply may have something to do with it, but why didn't it do it before? This problem has only happened recently(started a week or two ago) and I've had the computer almost a month.

What brand is your power supply? If it is one of the cheaper brands, it might be going bad already. or sometimes even name brands go faulty once in a while.

Welcome to TechSpot, Malice! Nice to meet you.

--kitty

Thanks for the welcome, nice to meet you as well.

It probably is one of the cheaper, it came with my case which is an Antec, it was only about 150$(Canadian) in total.

I also noticed that Peer Guardian 2 has some sort of error whenever it's closed. The error window that comes up says something about a stop control and what not. Could this possibly be the root of the problem?

Memtest

Antec makes good power supplies, but the ones that come with the cases are not as good as some of their other ones, I think. You might try downloading and running MemTest, but I'm not sure how to download and run it, as I think you can't just download the .exe, you have to do some other stuff. But it could be a RAM problem; if that's the case, somebody else will have to help you there. BTW, what brand name and model # is your RAM?

--kitty

My make of RAM is Corsair, but I'm not sure of the model number. Today I left my computer on again for about four and a half hours(had Driver Training to go to) came back and it was still on. Yesterday I left Azureus running and it had rebooted. If that relates to this at all, I'm not sure.

Do you have any program to monitor the temperature of your CPU? It could be that your processor is getting too hot. I'm not sure what else it would be other than RAM, power supply, or processor. Maybe some other TechSpot guy (w/more experience that I have!) would need to help you here ;)

--kitty

Ah, thanks for the help. I knew the stupid Router/card had something to do with it. I'm really not liking this D-Link, I may just get a new one.

Does anyone know if replacing my wireless card with another, more "reliable" brand would fix this? Or am I better off replacing both the router and card. It's still rebooting my computer, even after I got a new driver for it.

It probably would be safe just to replace the card, not the router. The router really shouldn't be able to crash your computer.

the router has nothing to do with your current problem, its a simple misconception. its your wireless adaptor/card/USB.

Boot up without the card, uninstall all the DLink software from Add/Remove and also device manager.
Reboot, confirm nothing residual is left. Your PC should be stable now.
turn off and plug in the wifi adapter and reinstall the driver, pointing it to the latest or stable version instead of auto detect..

What windows version is this, and are you using the wireless-PCI (for PC), wireless-PCMCIA (for Laptop) or wireless-USB (for both) adaptor??

Do as i've instructed previous. In most cases, a good driver cleaning and reinstall works wonders, and is lighter on the wallet :)

If its still giving you troubles or you still want to switch to another brand, then there are a few around, if not DLink then Netgear or belkin or linksys etc. Try not to get generic stuff unless it has some good reviews on it first. And you should match the speed/type of your router (801.11a/b/g/n etc) to squeeze the max performance out of it.

Don't forget to remove all instances of the dlink app before you install your new card!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back