Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Really Bad Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rab2140

Hey all!, I recieved my artic freezer 7 pro today and all was well.

I took the pre applied paste off and replaced it with as5 and then i mouted the freezer to my board it seemed suprisinly easy. I turned my pc and boom! 100oc temps.

This obviously pointed to the freezer not being mounted. I took it of tried again and it went down to 70. tried it again then 40 on 2.4ghz. Which imo sucks my stock intel was getting lower than this.

I dunno what to do. The freezer seems not to touch the center of the cpu and i have tightened it as far is it will go!

Make sure you apply enough Thermal Paste. Sounds like you're going in the right direction at least.

Well to get it to forty i applied the paste on the heatsync and in the same pattern as the pre applied. I dont know weather to follow as5 guide and put it in a stright line across the cpu.

I know it is to do with contact . The heatsync will not tighten anymore. I can apply anymore pressure to those pressure pads.

How could i fix this?

you can place a straight edge across the heatsink and shine a flash light on one side, if light shows under the straight edge your heatsink is concave and not making full contact with the cpu.

Ill try it now, what if it is concaved what can i do ? if it was concaved surely the intel stock HSF would of been terrible

Update: I didnt not have a flashlight and my case is cramped lol. So i took the CPu out put it ontop of the HSF and help it up to the sun and lightbulb. i saw no light coming through.

Also when i took the cpu off i noticed that the back of the cpu had the AS5 on it from the HSF and the other half (the front) had not had any one it. Which is saying it a contact issue i am putting the HSF in the south postion now to see what happens. It is ment to be at the east but i just dont know lol

Update: I placed the freezer in the south postion (the fan facing my graphics card) The temps have went down to 35-40 @ 24ghz idle.

I dont know. IS this good temps with this cooler?

If you're speaking to the Q6600, yes those temps are right about where you should expect them to be. A 65 watt dual core might register a couple of degrees less.

You didn't specify what the idle temps were with the stock cooler. Based on what you show now, I'm going to guess 42 to 46C.

As a point of interest, I really don't think it's necessary to remove the stock thermal compound, especially with your Arctic Freezer Pro. The stock pre-applied paste should be fine.

well i would say on stock, it was maybe 5- 6 oc higher which does not seem like a big dif.

Im just wondering why it will not mount in the correct position.

I want to overclock my q6600 but i dunno how far to go as far as temps are concerned.

I still think there is maybe another 4-5 oc drop i should be seeing.

Actually 5 to 6 degrees Celsius drop from stock doesn't seen that bad. I don't know that you're going to get 10, unless you spring for an even better cooler. Legend has it that the Arctic Freezer Pro is darn good, but not great. You can always wait for a second opinion.

Update. Well it has been two days. A few hours ago i took the cooler out again and just for the sake of it. I tried to place it in its original position and would you believe it! I am at 3.2ghz idling at 37-40oc. I have no idea how it has fixed itself.

I placed the cooler the same way i had done before.

It is a weird one.

But i think we are good now :)

thanks all

2iiv7yu.jpg

I'm glad you got it corrected, as I thought, it was a thermal compound issue, that's why I had you check the hs, gl with the rest of your build.

Thanks bro ;) I have ran prime and it touches the 70oc mark in two cores usually core 0 and 3 whilst core 1 -2 stay at 65. This to me means it touches the front of the cpu more than the back.

I think i have done all i can. I don't know whether to return it or not.

I mean prime 95 is not realistic in terms of real world performance i played crysis earlier and 36mark 06 and the cpu temps went to 60 so i dont know.

What do you think i should do? return or stick with it?

you could wet sand the cooler base down and get a mirror finish on it but it is hard if youve never done it before i have the AC freezer 7 on my e7400 and it runs just fine at 3.6Ghz at around 36c idle temps and around 52c at full load.

Your arctic freezer idling at 37 celcius is very a good temperature considering your running your quad at 1.4 volts for 3200mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back