Are 98 games XP compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wanting to buy Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II but am unsure whether it is compatible with Windows XP. The game is designed for Windows 95,ME and 98. I know there is a version designed for XP only, but I was hoping to go the cheaper route. does any one know if there is a patch or anything that could help me play that version on my XP OS?

If it fails to run or runs weird, find the .exe for the game, right click on it, select PROPERTIES, then COMPATABILITY. You can tell it to run as '98 etc.

most are, if you have issues run them in 98 compatibility mode. right-click on the file and select properties and go from there.

If the game needs to start from Dos (i.e. starts a Dos window and tries to run it in the window), you can get the most recalcitrant Dos progrms to work as follows....go into Control Panel/system and click the advanced tab. Now the environment settings button.

To user variables, add variable 'files' and put a value 80 or more. For system variables. the value 'ComSpec' will currently point to cmd.exe. Change that to command.com and reboot. You will now find that every dos program icon properties is newly-endowed with several extra tabs, including critically a memory tab, where setting EMS to zero will make a world of difference, and if your PC memory exceeds 500Mb, you must also switch OFF 'uses HMA'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back