Are Digital Music Fans Going Legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikael

The number of legal music downloads tripled internationally in the first half of 2005, according to an international music industry trade association.

In a report released Thursday, the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) declared consumer attitudes toward illegal music file-sharing to be changing, as legal music-buying alternatives gain further strength.

"The number of legal tracks downloaded internationally tripled to 180 million in the first half of 2005," the IFPI said, with surging broadband use acting to help the industry.

Infringing music files available on file-sharing networks and sites rose slightly (3 percent) from 870 million in January to 900 million, while broadband lines installed grew four times faster at 13 percent.

A study released last month in the U.S. reported a similar jump in legit services, but noted that digital music is still widely swapped online.
Link to the rest of the article (PCWorld).

I know quite a few people that still have a lot of problems with many of the legal MP3 services. I can't say that I believe one in three file-sharers stopped sharing files because they were afraid of legal action.

Mikael said:
I know quite a few people that still have a lot of problems with many of the legal MP3 services.
Legal MP3? Or DRM'd WMA? I'd consider ordering songs online if I was sure I could listen to them anywhere I want to (without having to convert them to another format and possibly losing quality).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back