TechSpot

Are my CD's empty or not?

By learninmypc
Jun 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. After recently going thru some boxes of mine, I found several CD's/DVD's that are NOT marked. Is there a safe way to see what may or may not be on them? TIA.:)

2. Coodu

Coodu TS Booster Posts: 170

You can flip the CD over and after a burn the amount of data burnt usually shows up lighter than the disc itself.

Similar to the picture below, which shows a disc with data on it. About 3/4 full.

The outer area shows the area of disc not written to.

Obviously to find out exactly WHAT is on them you'll have to put them in a drive in your machine lol :)

Hope this helps :)

[​IMG]

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 6,487   +331

Thank you very much. Your picture solved the mystery.(y)(y)

4. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

You could of course just stick them in the computer to see what the contents of each one are.

Norbor's method is one I frequently use myself, but it'll never tell you if the data the disc is readable.

5. learninmypc

Ok, I'll do so later, thank you.

6. Coodu

Coodu TS Booster Posts: 170

Hehe yeah, there really is no substitute for just popping in the disc :) I'm glad I was able to help you out but!(y)

7. learninmypc

But what?

8. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

Use NeroInfoTool. It'll tell ya if your disc is empty or not plus a whole lot more about the disc player as well. The left thumbnail shows drive info including capabilities and firmware level. Rt thumbnail shows there's a blank disc inserted at the moment

NeroInfoTool Drive Info.jpg NeroInfoTool.jpg