Are my computer parts compatible

PureQuest

Ok I am very new to building PCs so I apologise in advance :)

I have purchased computer parts that i thought would work together but alas I cannot get the PC to turn on, the parts I have are as followed:

Intel X58 Motherboard
Intel i7 920x Processor
XFX GeForces GTS250 Graphics Card
XFX 650 XXX Edition Power Supply
Western Digital Cavier Green 2TB Hard Drive

I then have a Samsung CD Drive and a Soundblaster 7.1 sound card but not sure if they are important.

All parts are brand new aswell

Thanks

They are compatible. I would not have chosen the WD Green at 2TB.

What CPU cooler do you have... did it come with the i7 ?
What memory modules ?
What operating system?

Doe you mean that it doesn't boot or that it does not turn on at all.?

You need a way to setup the hard drive. Do you have another hard drive available?

First thing to do is double check the setup of every component... when you are rested and relaxed...

If you've followed raybay's advice and haven't been able to get the PC to boot, check for any shorts between the motherboard and case like a loose screw or something.

They are compatible. I would not have chosen the WD Green at 2TB.

What CPU cooler do you have... did it come with the i7 ?
What memory modules ?
What operating system?

Doe you mean that it doesn't boot or that it does not turn on at all.?

You need a way to setup the hard drive. Do you have another hard drive available?

First thing to do is double check the setup of every component... when you are rested and relaxed...

Not sure what it is but i found a picture http ://img.tomshardware.com/us/2008/03/03/cpu_cooler_charts_2008/cpu_cooler_charts_2008_part_iii___e6300_e6400_box.jpg (I only have 2 posts so cant put link in thats why i broke it)

I have 6gb DDR3, i think thats memory modules?

Don't have an operating system yet was going to buy one when i got it to turn on.

It doesn't turn on at all, The motherboard has a power button so once i've plugged it in it turns on for a split second then off again.

also I have an external harddrive available if thats what you mean?

Check on your motherboard manufacturer's page to see if the brand of RAM you have is on the recommended list for that board (if there is such a list). What brand of RAM is it BTW?

Make sure all the connections from the PSU are sitting tight, especially the motherboard power connector(s).

Check on your motherboard manufacturer's page to see if the brand of RAM you have is on the recommended list for that board (if there is such a list). What brand of RAM is it BTW?

Make sure all the connections from the PSU are sitting tight, especially the motherboard power connector(s).

I have corsair xms ddr 3 RAM and thanks, still can't get it to turn on though the red light turns on on the motherboard but when i press it it turns on only for a split second

PC won't power up?

This could be a faulty RAM stick, so as the previous answer said, try just one, see what happens. If good then add another. But if you got some instructions with the motherboard, check that the jumper on the board that resets the BIOS, is on the correct pins, sometimes the factory setting has to be changed before it will boot. Also, is there a coin battery to power up the BIOS? If yes, is there a piece of clear plastic that you need to pull out from under that battery? It's put there to stop the battery running down before you get it, it should last 5 years though. Good luck.

I tried removing 2 of the 3 RAM Sticks but still no luck, the RAM motherboard and processor all came put together in a bundle from novatech.com just incase thats important?

And there wasn't any plastic under the battery :(

If i took a picture of the inside would that help at all?

Don't think a photo would really help. But send one if you can. When you press the power button 'on', do you see anything on screen ? Do you hear a sound, or many sounds? Do you see any text on screen, such as the BIOS make ? Does the fan on the power supply keep running, or stop ?

Don't think a photo would really help. But send one if you can. When you press the power button 'on', do you see anything on screen ? Do you hear a sound, or many sounds? Do you see any text on screen, such as the BIOS make ? Does the fan on the power supply keep running, or stop ?

The power button for the PC does nothing but when you plug it in and press the motherboard's power switch everything turns on for a split second then off.

Theres a good chance i've done things wrong

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/974/11092010400.jpg

You should fee a sense of victory... everyone, or nearly everyone, who has built their own system has gone through this sooner or later.

You will figger it out, then we will learn from you.

Check if the HSF is making contact with the CPU properly; a loose HSF might be causing the CPU to overheat and turn off the system.

PC won't power up...

I would unplug all the power cables from the PSU to motherboard. Unplug all connectors to DVD, Hard Drives, extra fans, and take out graphic card. Switch the PSU on and check if the fan runs in it. If yes, then plug the power connectors into the motherboard, with no RAM boards in. Does the fan still run? Switch off. Plug in one ram board, switch on, does the fan still run? Switch off, add another RAM board. You get the idea. Of course this is only testing for a component that is 'shorting' to ground, and the problem may not be that. But you may isolate where the short is at least. Also your Power supply may run its cooling fan with a short on a power connector, but in my experience the fan won't run in the event of a short. Has the power supply worked in any other PC? Does the fan on the CPU spin at all? Has anything got in between underside of the motherboard and the case side ? Until it actually works, you can't rule anything out, no matter how unlikely. Most faults I have had, have been due to faulty PSU or Graphic cards. But its easy to miss the obvious, such as the extra 4 pin power connector that goes in next to the main power connector. Hope something here helps.

Ok good/bad news

I unscrewed the motherboard and then rescrewed it back in and now it turns on (must of been a wonky screw or somtmhing).

Now I have plugged everything in and when i press the power button on the front the fans spin and the LEDs turn on, the CD Drive opens and closes etc.

Only problem is nothing else happens, i have plugged my monitor in but nothing happens with the monitor at all.I havent got a keyboard and mouse plugged in though would this cause the monitor to not turn on? (my keyboard broke and am waiting for new one to arrive)

Something's still loose IMHO, check all the connections and see if the video card and DIMMs are sitting properly.

Hi pure,
I didn't see this thus far, but if i missed it my apologies. Do you have onboard sound on that MB? if you do remove the VGA and try booting. If you do not have onboard sound, do you have another VGA you can use? it does not matter what it is , any PCIE card will work just to eliminate The graphics card as the problem.

Hi pure,
I didn't see this thus far, but if i missed it my apologies. Do you have onboard sound on that MB? if you do remove the VGA and try booting. If you do not have onboard sound, do you have another VGA you can use? it does not matter what it is , any PCIE card will work just to eliminate The graphics card as the problem.

I am not sure if there is onboard sound but in the mb manual it has a section which explains beeps so i assume so however i haven't heard any of these beeps so not 100%

i have a soundcard and a spare graphics but they don't seem to fit in the MB's card slots :p

Also the DIMMs are sitting perfectly correct clipped in etc but im not 100% sure about the graphics card, its clicked in but i can't screw it in as when i stretch it so the holes align it comes out the slot :p

I am not sure if there is onboard sound but in the mb manual it has a section which explains beeps so i assume so however i haven't heard any of these beeps so not 100%

i have a soundcard and a spare graphics but they don't seem to fit in the MB's card slots :p

Also the DIMMs are sitting perfectly correct clipped in etc but im not 100% sure about the graphics card, its clicked in but i can't screw it in as when i stretch it so the holes align it comes out the slot :p

geezus im having a senior moment, i meant onboard graphics. (and you would not with an x58 board) if you can slip a different VGA in there to make sure it not your graphics card.

Purequest PC problem

If you don't have a keyboard plugged in, your PC may fail to get past the POST. (power on self test). It's a good idea to have a small speaker connected, as it can help with warning beeps. It plugs onto the pins marked 'speaker' or 'spkr'. The speaker has a red and black wire, and on the end has a three pin plug with the center one empty, it's part of the block of pins that powers your LEDS and power on switch. With the graphic card, just push it down firmly, you may have a white pin at one end of the socket that has to be released first. If the star screw on the top of the chrome bracket does not line up, that's normal, just ease the parts together till you can get the star screw to go in. But its most important to get the card level in the socket, same height all way along. I use a torch and magnifier, it's cheaper than buying another card !!

If you don't have a keyboard plugged in, your PC may fail to get past the POST. (power on self test). It's a good idea to have a small speaker connected, as it can help with warning beeps. It plugs onto the pins marked 'speaker' or 'spkr'. The speaker has a red and black wire, and on the end has a three pin plug with the center one empty, it's part of the block of pins that powers your LEDS and power on switch. With the graphic card, just push it down firmly, you may have a white pin at one end of the socket that has to be released first. If the star screw on the top of the chrome bracket does not line up, that's normal, just ease the parts together till you can get the star screw to go in. But its most important to get the card level in the socket, same height all way along. I use a torch and magnifier, it's cheaper than buying another card !!

I tried with a keyboard plugged in and still nothing - i dont have a small speaker but i can aquire one if needed.
I think the graphics card is firmly in place i've screwed it in and clicked it into the socket.

Is there any other solutions as i am honestly considerin refunding all the items and purchasing a ready made pc

Back