TechSpot

Are there any IDE to SATA adapters/cables?

By Atham
Aug 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,

I am going to update my computer. I would like to keep my old ATA WDC 1TB HDD. However the motherboard I am upagrading to, the GA-990FXA-UD5, doesn't support IDE.
    I would like to know if you know any good prodcuts for IDE to SATA adapters/cables. Should I get one of those or just get a new HDD?

Thanks

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

What is the model of your motherboard? Even SATA motherboards should have one IDE interface that will support 2 IDE devices

3. Atham

Atham TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 460

My current motherboard is a MSI 785GM-E51 with a HD Radeon 4200 IGP. I would like to upgrade to a GA990FXA-UD5.

4. Tmagic650

Your current board has and IDE interface, the GA-990FXA-UD5 does not. You better stick with all SATA drives, your old IDE drive would slow disc access times down. Get a USB external IDE enclosure and access any important that way

5. Atham

Where would I store my OS though? Wouldn't the adapters work? I think I am off buying a whole new build.

6. Tmagic650

You wouldn't be able to run the OS off the new motherboard anyway. You would have to re-install the OS fresh

7. Atham

I am going to do a fresh install. But there is a way. I saw a guide somewhere.

8. Tmagic650

You're just asking for trouble trying to use an OS install from another motherboard. Don't you have the install disc?

9. Atham

My PC was built by a friend of my dad. I did find a Windows 7.iso on my computer, both 32bit and 64bit. There also was some text from the one who built the PC that these are the files for Win 7. I just need a USB or disc to burn it on. I am thinking of getting a DVD-RW.

10. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Yes

11. Atham

Those aren't sold in my country unfortunately.

12. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Unless you live in a country like Somalia, you should be able to find one in some form or another.

Doesn't "IDE to SATA Converter" bring up anything in Google?

13. Tmagic650

Yes that will work and I'm sure your CPU is 64-bit. I bought my Windows 7 Pro on-line from Microsoft as a .iso file download in October 2009