Are you ready for ads on your computer?

By learninmypc
Sep 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. By now we’re all used to advertisements on our smart phones and tablets – it’s the tradeoff we accept for using free apps instead of premium versions. Yet one of the side effects of Microsoft’s making Windows 8 for both tablets and personal computers is that those ad-supported apps will make their way onto our laptops and desktops.

Windows 8 logo

Yep, ads on your PC.

Does that mean the addon Adblock plus won't work?
  2. siiix

siiix TS Rookie Posts: 29

simple solution just dont use any add supported software

there is always a choice pay or pirate... i never use "free" apps and probably never will

in addition really good software is rarely able to support it self from adds, maybe a limited functionality version
  3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 6,551   +332

Are you familiar with ?
    I have it on both my Firefox & SeaMonkey browers & find it works excellent on & Youtube. And it is free.
    I don't plan on having a smart phone or a tablet, but a pc yes.
  4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,433   +143

If I get money in the form of cheaper stuff.
  5. learninmypc

Ok, maybe its me that is confused. The way I read that article is even with Adblock plus, I'll still see ads. Is that true or not?
  6. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,379

I'm sorry, siiix, that sounded lot like an Apple fan's response... there is a TON of great free software on Windows...
  7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Maybe its just me as a part time Apple user, but I didn't get that at all from his response mopar man.

I read it as he is a guy that either buys his software or he pirates it (likely a combination thereof).
  8. learninmypc

The article talks about Microsoft & my question is directed at Microsoft pc's. Can someone answer my question ?:)
  9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

It would seem to me that with Adblock Plus you would still get ads since adblock plus is an add on for firefox and not the OS itself. But I think you would probably have success blocking them with a hosts file block.

But how I read the article is you might get ads with your Metro apps, but if you ran Windows 8 like Windows 7 (no Metro) you wouldn't have ads.
  10. learninmypc

With adblock plus, I can watch movies on crackle & Youtube with out ads Currently I'm using xp mce. with Google Chrome, Firefox & SeaMonkey. SeaMonkey is my default browser.
    I tried watching a movie on hulu but it played a black page white lettering telling me I should disable my adblocking stuff. Of course I won't do do that .I quit using hulu because of that. Thanks for your reply.