Armed robbers loot 40,000 products worth $36 million from Samsung's Brazilian factory

Himanshu Arora

Staff

In a daring robbery, 20 armed men disguised as Samsung employees invaded a company factory in Brazil on Monday, and stole $36 million worth of merchandise including smartphones, tablets, laptops, and more.

According to local media, the gang of criminals hijacked a van carrying employees to work just before midnight, and easily entered the factory located in the south eastern college town of Campinas.

Once inside, the gang overpowered security guards, and took hostage around 100 employees present in the factory, removing the batteries of their cell phones so they couldn’t call the police.

"They subdued the guards, took their weapons and their ammunition and told them to continue working as if nothing had happened," police Lieutenant Vitor Chaves told Globo television. Robbers spent around 3 hours loading the haul of products onto a fleet of 7 trucks, which then split off in different directions. Fortunately, no one was hurt during the ordeal.

Police said that the scale of the theft along with the fact that they knew where to go in the building to gain access to valuable merchandise, indicated thieves had insider help.

Reacting to the incident, Samsung said, “We are very worried about this incident. Fortunately nobody was hurt. We have cooperated fully with the ongoing police investigation and will do our best to avoid any reoccurrence”. The South Korean company said that it's still trying to find out how much money it had lost.

Aside from Samsung, other industry heavyweights like General Electric, Hewlett Packard and Dell also have operations in Campinas. In the last one year, the town, which is also known as the Brazilian Silicon Valley, has witnessed a sharp increase in cargo thefts.

Permalink to story.

Karma.
Police said that the scale of the theft along with the fact that they knew where to go in the building to gain access to valuable merchandise, indicated thieves had insider help.
How much are those phones again? $300?
How much are they paying thier workers?
How much does the CEO of Samsung make?

Similar events (not to this extent but financially) have already begun to take place in the states, just on different levels. For a very small example, I know several buddies that work for Verizon and TimeWarner (one quite high up) and they have, well lets just say have got even, and don't mind paying their ridiculous monthly bills so much anymore. :) One guy has worked for TWC for 24 years but says recently prices have gotten out of hand.

No one escapes Karma. Doesn't matter how rich you are, who you know, or how many strings you pull. Its unavoidable. F*** people out of thier money and it will come back to haunt you 10 fold, one way or another.

Last edited:
No one escapes Karma. Doesn't matter how rich you are, who you know, or how many strings you pull. Its unavoidable. F*** people out of thier money and it will come back to haunt you 10 fold, one way or another.

A sentiment that lends credit to my theory that two wrongs don't make a right – it takes three (assuming wrong = left). Thus, this whole situation will be rectified when either (a) Samsung goes out of business for their alleged improprieties or (b) they purge thieving employees.

Karma.
How much are those phones again? $300?
How much are they paying thier workers?
How much does the CEO of Samsung make?

Similar events (not to this extent but financially) have already begun to take place in the states, just on different levels. For a very small example, I know several buddies that work for Verizon and TimeWarner (one quite high up) and they have, well lets just say have got even, and don't mind paying their ridiculous monthly bills so much anymore. :) One guy has worked for TWC for 24 years but says recently prices have gotten out of hand.

I totally agree with post and I believe in Karma.

I feel bad for samsung because I love their products but in a world where people are starving and CEO's make way too much money the universe that we live in has a way of correcting itself.

I feel bad for samsung because I love their products but in a world where people are starving and CEO's make way too much money the universe that we live in has a way of correcting itself.

You understand that the world has always (and will always) conformed to this paradigm, correct? You'll never elevate the lower blocks by lopping off the top of the pyramid.

$36 million worth in 40 thousand products? That means the average cost of a Samsung product is $900, is that plausible?

What did they expect when using factory in a third-world country full of despots and criminals? Roses and handshakes? NOT!

I'm sure the theft is a tiny fraction of the saving Samsung has made manufacturing in such a cheaper place to use than the US or other first-world options. Doing this doesn't make the devices cheaper for the consumer, it just puts MORE profit in the pockets of big companies.

It was Apple! Just kidding, maybe those thieves will now sell Samsung phones for lower prices, I might get in contact with them.

$36 million worth in 40 thousand products? That means the average cost of a Samsung product is $900, is that plausible?
This $36 million worth is debatable. If you take into consideration that everything in Brazil is sold at 2x the price of everywhere else and that Samsung might be estimating those numbers on how much money they would make if they actually sold the stolen merchandise rather than how much it actually costs to produce, you would have $18 million or even less.

Back