ARM's new GPU design aims to improve performance tenfold

By Leeky
Nov 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. ARM has released a press statement today announcing that its upcoming Mali-T658 GPU chip is set to offer up to ten times the performance of the current Mali-400 MP, which…

Read the whole story
  2. Captain828

Captain828 TechSpot Guru Posts: 277

I was fairly certain the GPU performance crown belonged to Apple's A5 SoC... or the Tegra 3 (there are some benchmarks on the net).
  3. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 572   +37

Two years makes a big difference. This is the same timeframe as Logan (Tegra 5), which is planned for release in 2013 and is alegedly 50 times faster than Tegra 2 or 10 times faster than Tegra 3.

When this hits the market, I don't think it will be very competitive (assuming both company's predictions are acurate).
  4. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Imagine if Nvidia or ATI made that claim about their next GPU.
  5. @Apple's A5 SoC

(From Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A5)

The A5 contains a rendition of a chip based upon the dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore CPU with NEON SIMD accelerator and a dual core PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU.
  6. Tomorrow_Rains

Tomorrow_Rains TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179

AMD told the press their bulldozer is crazy fast

Except they forgot to mention you need nuclear cooling in-order to power it fast enough.

But i dont think the radiation and heat is worth it.
  7. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 486   +10

Wait... someone please link me to the comparison on the current mobile GPUs... was Mali-400 MP really considered more performant (silently) than Tegra 2, or was that statement about performance correct in the line of ARM designs?

And remember PS3 GPU is of raw Nvidia 7000+ series gen. it is reasonable to think that moble GPU will reach this or surpass it by 2013-14 for the screen resolutions supported. Under the same strain probably will not push much more than 720 high fadelity content... and will be a battery muncher regardless of the GPU manufacturer...
  8. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Newcomer, in training Posts: 84

He said GPU...

Anyway, I'm also kind of confused as to why AMD or Nvidia make every new graphics generation 1.5 to 2 times faster than the previous one, while ARM and PowerVR claim anything from 10 to 50 times more speed (in every generation for the past few years)?

I think it's some sort of marketing gimmick. Perhaps their calculations are based on some huge hypothetical SoC with 24 cores and over 10W in TDP :D

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.