Asrock Vision 3D HTPC Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Asrock's Mini PC line has expanded with the recent introduction of the Vision 3D HTPC, by far their most ambitious model yet. This HTPC goes beyond what we've seen in the past packing both a powerful Intel mobile processor and a mobile Nvidia GeForce graphics part.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/334-asrock-vision-3d-htpc/

Please leave your feedback here.

It's a mac mini on steroids (that's a good thing)... at least 20-30% more powerful than the lower spec'd mini for the same price. Sure, twice the height profile, but just as nice looking with superior connectivity.

This thing could very well be a winner in my books, Sure I could do much better for that price and make something the size of a VCR, still this is one nice looking (and preforming) product. I'd love to get my hands on one to mess with.

This unit is number one on my list of HTPCs for production use (in my home.) Prior to this it was the ASRock 100HT-BD without any upgrades. This unit is absolutely ideal for my current home theater/pc/networking setup.

Concerning the second HDD possibility, are you sure it's possible? Other tests says "impossible": second HDD would nearly touch GPU heatsink, thus risk overtemp...

So did you really tried this, checked HDD will not touch GPU heatsink, given connectors will plug and temperature stay safe? Or at least what says Asrock about this?

I need to be sure: No second HDD would be a deal-breaker for me!

Regards

@Guest

It's not possible. I just got my 137B today, and while there may be physical space for another HDD, there are only two power plugs... one for the optical drive, and one for the harddrive. Furthermore, there is no holes for screws, so you would have to make your own.

But just use a NAS instead... 500 gigs are plenty, for programs and games.

I highly recommend this PC! :)

Am I the only one to find the standard array of tests unsatisfactory for a HTPC? I would never want to overclock a HTPC, and benchmarks and the gaming performance are also secondary.

The only two things that count are:

1) Will it still play FullHD without any problems under load (encoding, copying, ...)

2) Is this thing quiet enough to sit in the living room next to the TV (most important)?

The absence of any statement regarding noise (quiet? loud? optical drive audible?) is really disappointing.

I think everyone kind of has their own list of needs from their HTPC. Like you, I could care less about gaming performance - I will never game on an HTPC. I will also never encode on an HTPC so unlike you I don't care about that either. All I care about is will it play every format I throw at it the way I want and without issue? Is it flexible enough for me to use it in all the ways/locations I may want to use it? Can I run whatever media playback software I want on it? Is it quiet enough that I won't notice it even during quiet scenes? Is it convenient enough (remote control, etc.) that I won't get frustrated with it or switch to something else? Can I get 5 9's stability from it?

Difficult but not impossible- I put Vertex 3 in- couldn't put in all four screws to hold it in place but still sturdy and the temps seem fine- average 50- 65c

Apologies for dragging this old thread out of the doldrums, but, I have an ASRock 3D Vision 137D that has run near silent for the past three years and is noisier than a noisy thing. The fan is goosed, I think.

I opened it up this morning and it is very clean inside barely any fluff there and the vents are clear. The heatsink though, was too hot touch.

I have tried all manner of search terms and simply cannot find my way to a replacement. I even tried searching for the barcoded part number from the top of the heatsink which only returned three (foreign) results.

Could anyone here help me out with this? Please.

Back