Asrock Z77 error A55

Ritwik7

Hi everyone.

I've been having a strange issue since I cleaned my PC this morning. When I booted up my PC after cleaning, I got an Error 55 which signifies that no memory is installed/detected. I'm using two identical 4GB sticks of GSkill Ripjaws 1600MHz and both were correctly installed in slots A1 and B1.

So I switched out the sticks and put them in slots A2 and B2 and the system booted up just fine. I shut the system down and switched the DIMMs back to their original slots (A1, B1) and now the computer again booted successfully. I played Hitman Absolution for about an hour, then turned off my machine and went out.

Just reached home and started up the system. All was fine till I again started the game and it crashed with a BSOD. On reboot I again got Error 55. Did the same DIMM switching procedure and all seems well again. Any pointers as to what might be wrong? I've used the system without issues for 3 months and suddenly this?

Maybe something went wrong with the RAM. When you say you cleaned it, were you talking about dust or cleaning out temp files and the like? If dust, maybe there was some stray static that zapped something. Anyway, see what happens if you leave the RAM in the A2 and B2 slots and play games. Up to now you've only just booted up and then switched them back.

Well, I played right now with them in A2, B2 and A1, B1. Things seem fine. So I really can't understand what's happening. And yes, I was cleaning out dust.

I'm still thinking some kind of static discharge, small and unnoticed. But even so, I realize you still don't know exactly what is wrong. Perhaps running memtest86+ might help narrow it down.

Back