TechSpot

Asus a7n8x BIOS settings PLEASE!!

By ramoneo
Dec 22, 2003
  1. SO with 1gig Corsair PC3700 DDR Memory in the Asus a7n8x deluxe Mobo, Athlon XP 2400 CPU, with a great thermalright 800 heatsink- I currently have:
    CPU Ext Freq: 166Mhz
    CPU Freq Multiplier: 13x
    Memory Freq: 100%
    CPU Interface: Optimal
    Resulting Freq: 166Mhz
    CPU VCore: 1.750V
    this produces 36C/96F temp..
    I am new to BIOS/overclocking but I heard that I can take advantage the awesome 1gig memory that I have. Could anyone help me tweak my system.

2. tripleione

tripleione TS Rookie Posts: 181

Take a look at this thread before doing anything else.

Explaining step-by-step how to overclock would easily take a few hours to type without even going extremely indepth of the subject.

Luckily for you, there are hundreds of overclocking resources available for you to read on the web. Do a search from google, or even take a look at TechSpot's own overclocking guide.

3. Steg

Steg TS Rookie Posts: 422

you have some SERIOUSLY fast ram there - i wish my ram could do that - but you are limited in your overclocking by your CPU - anything under a 2500+ (i.e the palamino/throughbread a cores) is very difficult to overclock - im getting at 2500+ myself just so i can overclock it
    the 2400+ is very hard to overclock simply because the 2400+ is the FASTEST they could get that core to go - thus it doesnt overclock very well.
    if you want my recommendation buy urself a 2500+ for £60 and sell your 2400+ on ebay or similar for about £40 - problem solved.
    *stops in his tracks* you 2400 has a 166 FSB? i thought the 2400+ were the last of the 133 FSB range...? are you sure? odd. *is now confused* :mad:
    i hope something in that ramble helps

Steg

4. tripleione

tripleione TS Rookie Posts: 181

Not necessarily. AMD started using the Thoroughbred "B" cores in their XP1700+ and up a long while ago. Most AthlonXPs are now based on the Thoroughbred "B" or Barton core.

5. ramoneo

ramoneo TS Rookie Topic Starter

I guess what im saying is.. the above settings are what I have entered myself according to the numerous articles that i have read. I have the option of 100, 133, 166, even 200Mhz for the CPU Ext Freq. Ive read articles that recommend each one of these settings. My current settings (above) seemed like a "safe" setting (that true?). Although I would like any additional info as to what may be added/changed to take full advantage of my hardware.
    Again, I am doing this out of my own free will so please do not feel responsible if anything were to happen. And I really do appreciate any and all comments/concerns...

6. Krugger

Krugger TS Rookie Posts: 210

really, every system ends up being different, that's why few people overclock, as it can be quite a bit of work tweaking everything. as for certain settings, you just gotta play around and try different combos to see what works. first step is to get yourself a decent benchmarking utility too. basically try a setting, and test it out, make sure it's stable, see how much you've gained, etc. sorry i don't have specific advice for this situation.
    -Krugger

7. ramoneo

ramoneo TS Rookie Topic Starter

As far as a benchmarking tool... what would you guys recommend?

8. PreservedSwine

PreservedSwine TS Rookie Posts: 375

133/166/200 are just a few settings. There's probably a box in there that's marked "Expert settings" of something similiar. Click it, then you will have access to FSB steppings 1 mhz at a time instead of 33 mhz jumps. Just remember to keep an eye on temps, and go slowly, just a couple of mhz at a time, run some tests to be sure temps stay cool and system remains stable before going up allittle more.

Don't be afraid to add a little voltage to the CPU as well, perhaps 10% above default is the max I would reccomend, just keep a CLOSE eye on temps when doing so.

9. Krugger

Krugger TS Rookie Posts: 210

i feel like a great number of people use 3dmark for benchmarking. as for this part, they may run a longer/looping test and see if the cpu is stable or if it crashes.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.