Asus a7n8x doesn't recognize 1T sata drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening!
I have the asus board in my Vista Ultimate system. I had a couple of 500GB sata drives, and wanted to replace one of them with a 1T drive(Western Digital WD10000CSRTL) . When I connected the new drive, the system just hangs at the point where it's listing the drives right before boot. Strange thing is, it gets the model number, but hangs at capacity. It does the same thing even if it's the only sata drive in the system. Does the a7n8x board support drives that large, or do I need to take back the drive? Asus's website has been less than helpful, and google searches didn't net a hit on this combo and problem. I turn to the gurus for enlightenment... Thanks for any assistance!

Eldred

"Your Asus motherboard is too old to support these hi-capicity drives"

Crap, crap, CRAP! That's what I was afraid of. Ok, thanks for the quick reply.

Resolved Asus A7N8X Deluxe with 1TB SATA drive causes hang during boot

I had the exact same symptom - booting would hang trying to discover the size of the sata drive. I have two Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboards, one pcb rev 2.00 and one pcb rev 1.06. Both have the Silicon Image 3112 sata controller. I purchased two Western Digital WD1001FALS 1TB sata drives from NewEgg.

I downloaded the latest motherboard bios update and flash utility from the Asus support site, the latest sata bios update from the Silicon Image support site, and the cbrom v2.15 merge utility from the BIOSMods utility site.

I then performed the following steps:

1. Merged the updated sata pci bios component to each of the respective motherboard bios updates:

v2.00 motherboard:
cbrom215 1008-d.bin /pci 4824.bin

v1.06 motherboard:
cbrom215 an8d1008.bin /pci 4824.bin

2. Created an ms-dos bootable disk:
open "My Computer", right click on the floppy drive and select "Format...". Check the box labeled "Create an MS-DOS startup disk".

3. Copied the updated motherboard bios files to the ms-dos bootable disk, booted the ms-dos disk and updated each motherboard's flash bios:

v2.00 motherboard:
awdflash 1008-d.bin /py /sn

v1.06 motherboard:
awdflash an8d1008.bin /py /sn

The problem is now fixed. Both systems boot up without hanging and the drives are working.

-- jhm

thanks

thank you jhm01 for posting this very useful information, I can confirm that your solution works fine.

Just one minor detail: Did you actually use version 4824 of the controller bios or did you actually mean version 4284?

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back