ASUS A7N8X-X Power-up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i recently bought a new ASUS A7N8X-X, and also a new power supply (the model is LPG2-550W) but i'm having some problems: when i push the power button nothing hapens... the motherboard built-in power led is on, i've tried removing all components and still nothing, then i even removed the processor (my old Athlon XP 1800) and nothing (should it do anything with only the power supply and the motherboard?) i thought it might be a problem with the power button, and so tried to make the two "pins" connect directly, it didn't work. any sugestions? i can send the board back to the store but it will take a few days for them to give me another one or tell me that its not a board's problem... and i need my computer to work... :dead:

if anyone can help me... thanks already.

"remove the processor", geez! your computer will not power up with CPU! ;)

Did you connect the power plug, 12v extra power (4pin plug) and correct plug position for led and power. Check your mobo manual. If it dont work, go and switch your power supply and try again. if still not work, it is your motherboard.

okay so the mother board LED is on, so the power supply sounds like it's working. Removing certain components is a good strategy to narrow down a problem, but removing the CPU was not smart.

When you get a motherboard the smartest thing to do is to test it out before you install it in the case. Try doing what I do, put it on a sponge(one of them foamy pad thingies). Then hook the minimal requirements AKA "power supply, CPU&fan, RAM, and video card." Plug monitor to the video card of course and power it up, (to turn it on either hook up the power switch cable, or with a steady hand tap in between the 2 leads with a metal screwdriver.)
If the mother board lights (as in it goes into the boot sequence as far as it can with the other missing componets) then you know that the mohterboard is good. This way if the motherboard is bad, it can save you all the hassle of unhooking everything and unscrewing it off the case.
---------

anywho, back to the relevance of you problem.....yep it sounds like your motherboard is bad. If it was the RAM or video that was bad, then in most cases you would hear beaps from the speaker.

Motherboard may be grounding out to the case. This is a common problem.

I have a couple A7N8X boards from Asus and they are picky about starting up the first time. The hard drive cables are cable select cables so set your hard drive jumper pin to cable select. I had to use the reset BIOS pin and remove the battery to get my motherboard to work initially. For a SATA Drive you may need a floppy to get it to load the chipset driver for SATA when you install Windows XP.

Charles Hammond said:
Motherboard may be grounding out to the case.
That just reminded me. Make sure you didn't put one of them brass standoff screws in the wrong place. If one of them are not lined up with a hole on your motherboard, then that means they could be touching some solder leads together and that could cause some problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back