Asus A7N8XE-Deluxe trouble

Hi all,
I was putting a new power switch on my computer and during the process it kept cutting on and off. It would not come back on. I took mobo out of case. With just the mobo, 1 memory stick and power supply it only gets green light on mobo. I tried touching the power part with a screwdriver and nothing. The nvidia nforce2 MCP-T chip gets very hot to touch as soon as the cord is plugged into the power supply and the green light comes on? I tested my power supply and it is fine. I tried different step; with memory and different slots, graphics card attached, etc. The main question that I have is just with the mobo and power supply it is strange that the green mobo light comes on and the chip I mentioned by the battery gets hot. I am just about ready to give up. Please help.

ASUS A7N8XE-Deluxe
AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1900
1.8Ghz 2GB memory
200 GB western digital hard drive
dvd cdr
Windows XP

I did notice something different today. I had left the CMOS jumper in the reset position and no battery overnight. As soon as I put the battery inn and repositioned the CMOS jumper, I plugged the power supply into the mobo. Just as I plugged in the power cord, the fan on the processor jumped as the green mobo light came on, then nothing, just the green light. I am baffled as to what the problem could be.

I was putting a new power switch on my computer and during the process it kept cutting on and off.
Did you leave the power on while you were installing the switch? The motherboard could be damaged.

As far as the fan jumping, on some motherboards that happens normally although I don't know if that applies to your motherboard specifically. One of my older MSI motherboards does that while my Gigabyte boards don't. I don't have any Asus boards.

Just helping mailpup out on his post: I've had plenty of Asus-board experience, and only a handful of models jump the fans - those being older models pre-2005.

But: fan jumping can occur anyway if the PSU has stored some charge from a previous run that ended either by forcibly pulling out the AC-cable or by any non-button shutdown.

Yes, unfortunately I did do this. I think it did short out. The green mobo light does come on but I think the mobo is gone. I tried jumping it by touching the two prongs with a screwdriver and not even a spark. I wish I just would not have done this in the first place. I was just hoping I might have a chance at saving this mobo. I am about to give up on it because I am pretty sure it is gone. While I was installing the custom switch, I left the power on for testing purposes. I guess it went off and on to many times.:eek:

Back