TechSpot

ASUS A8N32-SLI vs ASUS A8N-SLI

?

Which is a better value, or just better?

1. Asus A8N32-SLI

50.0%
  2. Asus A8N-SLI

60.0%
  3. Both of these suck, need more options!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
By spartanslayer
Jan 12, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Which is better for the money? And is the full 16x lanes worth $120 extra? Also, how hot do they get. Thanks.
  2. Phyphor

Phyphor TS Rookie

Hi there

Hi, I have an A8N-SLI with a AMD 4200 Dual Core - Most of the time the Mobo runs below 29 degrees and the chip runs around 36 with nothin to do and up to 44 when fully loaded, i have no special fans or anythin in my machine - so A8N-SLI is not a bad board!

Phyphor
  3. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

I also have the A8N-SLI (deluxe), and my temps are very good. But I sure like that A8N32-SLI board. The price tag is the only negative to it.

From what I have read, the SLI on that board barely performs any better than the dual x8SLI of other boards, but that is simply because the current cards out can't make use of the dual x16.

What I really like about that board is it's new way of distributing power. It appartently keeps things MUCH cooler and since it is fanless (unless you use the optional fans) it is also completely silent.

And....(drumroll) it is a MASTER overclocking board. If you are into overclocking, from the reviews on the net, this board is the best there currently is available. The A8N-SLI board was average at best, but ASUS made up for it with that A8N32. For OCing, this board can go further than any other. Glad to see they are trying to get back at the top of the heap again.

Bottom line, had you of asked which is better, I would have answered the A8N32, but you asked which is better for the money. Unless you want the best of the best and can dish out the cash, I don't think the A8N32 is the best choice.
  4. Phyphor

Phyphor TS Rookie

I agree with the previous post :)
  5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

The A8N32-SLI is slower then previous boards in most tests. The HT link used on it has been slowed down, explaining the decrease in performance.
  6. DonNagual

Wow, good find Didou! I knew the board wasn't that much of a performance increase, but to be actually a little slower was surprising. I wonder if any of the newer drivers have helped?

I read some more of that article you posted. It confused me a bit because they show that it is actually slower than the A8N-SLI, but in the very end they go on to say

7. DonNagual

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.