Asus adds GTX 460M to G53, G73 gaming notebooks

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Given the early GF100 Fermi chip's inefficiency, the chip just wasn't cut out for life on the road. Only a handful notebooks launched with the GTX 480M and sales have probably been underwhelming to say the least. Last week, Nvidia added half a dozen parts to its mobile DirectX 11 offering, including two enthusiast-grade GPUs -- one being the mobile GTX 460.

Asus has promptly updated its ROG G53JW and G73JW gaming laptops with the GTX 460M, putting them among the more attractive options currently available for gamers on the move. Each can be had with a broad selection of Core i3, i5 or i7 processors, 4GB to 8GB of RAM, dual HDD, SSD or hybrid drives (presumably the Seagate Momentus XT), a Blu-ray drive, tons of connectivity, and Windows 7.

The G53 is has a 15.6-inch 1366x768 display, while the G73 has a larger 17.3-inch 1600x900 screen. Alternatively, they can be outfitted with a 1080p display. They also have an eight-cell battery, and that pushes the weight to 3.6kg or just under eight pounds for the lightest machine (3.85kg/8.48lbs for the heaviest). Both are crashing through virtual shelves with pricing set well over a grand.

Permalink to story.

very nice, I like the look of it. If I was looking to buy a gaming laptop this would probably be it, I would choose the Core i5 setup either that or a Alienware M11x(even though that's a netbook =/).

Interesting. I know that the MSI GT660G and GT660R doesnt have the new GTX 460, but It might be an interesting option for some to consider.

Back