TechSpot

Asus AM3-AM3+ BIOS upgrade

By red1776
Mar 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Dividebyzero found (hell, maybe he wrote it) :) a story at swedclockers.com stating that Asus is making some of their high end 890 motherboards Bulldozer compatible with a bios flash. So I looked up bios revisions for my Formula IV Crosshair, and there she is. You have to hand it to AMD on this one. Unless the Bulldozer is a flop, this is very consumer friendly.

Here is the story DBZ posted:
    http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/13...t-far-stod-for-bulldozer-med-bios-uppdatering

Here is the bios revision from Asus:
    [​IMG]

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +69

3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Topic Starter Posts: 5,219   +157

well J If its a hoax, it's one that is being perpetrated on Asustek Intl website.
    I will bench the FX 8130P as soon as I can get my hands on one.

4. Route44

Yes, that is what I'm thinking. I don't think AMD wants to have Asus look the fool internationally.

I really look forward to your work with the new AMD offerings.

5. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,254

G has the ideal opportunity to benchmark with his C4F board. Run as many synthetic and "real life" tests on the present setup (maybe clock the CPU to stock, 1090/1100T levels and OC) then whip the Phenom out and toss in the BD, while keeping the RAM etc at the same settings.

I can't say yet if I'll have the opportunity to do the same. AMD boards (890FX) here are about 50% more expensive than a comparable P67 and on par better-than-average X58's (the ratio is worse for the resell market)- while AMD CPU's are ballpark same price as Intel. Those are tough hurdles to clamber over for widespread adoption locally, so I don't get a lot of AMD system builds

6. Route44

Z, I really do hope you get the opportunity. Both you and red are two posters that I pay close attention to to cut through to the chase and get to the facts.

7. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Topic Starter Posts: 5,219   +157

You picked that right off my brain Chef. Thats exactly what I am going to do. i will not be able to resist getting an AM3+ MB,(again the enthusiast OCD) but I am going to bench a 'flashed' AM3 C4F on the way out. I am going to bench virtually every synth and game there is. I have a feeling that BD is going to be a rather fast CPU series, and I think getting non-spun numbers are going to be a mess. Memory bandwidth is going to be interesting with dropping them into a AM3 board. Right now somewhere between the 3rd and 4th GPU, I see a CPU limitation as my GPU score exceeds my P score in Vantage. ( I see the same in Intel based SLI machines) I will be very interested to see what these do for CF/SLI machine. Basically I am going to bench everything straight up.

Thanks J, awfully kind of you :)

J, I will send it all over if you want it. Not sure I will post it here, probably just draw the trolls in.

8. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,254

If PCinlife's numbers are accurate, it would seem that most of the BD models should support Turbo mode to 900-1000MHz above stock. How many modules/cores are enabled is another matter, but it would seem that a turbo of up to 4.1GHz isn't out of the question