Asus Crosshair IV Formula

By Tank
Sep 5, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Good day to all!

I am purchasing a ASUS Crosshair IV Formula next week, however I have one question I am unsure of.

I am not a fan of integrated audio in the least. I want to run a soundcard on this board, but if I am correct, it is my understanding there is no PCI slots at 1X. Will I still be able to run a soundcard on this board, or not?

I only intend to run one video card for now, as I simply have no use for 2 powerful cards.

Thanks.
  2. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

The board has 4 PCI-E x16 slots and 2 PCI slots.

PCI-E x1 devices should work fine on any PCI-E x1 / x4 / x8 / x16 slot.
  3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,847   +64

Thats kind of an odd statement Tank. Being 'on board audio' does not make it good or bad. on board audio runs from excellent to not so good. I have an Crosshair IV Formula, and the X-FI is very good. unless you are going to spend big bucks to replace it, you will be replacing it with something inferior.

also, if you are going to run only a single card, you may want to purchase something else. A large Part of what you are paying for is 42 PCIE lanes. If you have no plans to exploit that, you can save yourself quite a few bucks and get the 890GX chipset for $80 less. Running a single card on the IV does not make much sense as you are paying for what you wont use. Something Like this would make sense for a single card setup:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631
  4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,994   +67

I couldn't agree with this more, its like buying a Ferarri 458 Italia, and then driving it like a Prius .......

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.