Asus Eee Pad Transformer shipments surpass 400,000 units per month

By Emil
Jul 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. As expected, monthly shipments of the Asus Eee Pad Transformer tablet have reached 400,000 units, making the company's goal to ship a total of 2 million tablets in 2011 quite…

Read the whole story
  2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I'm going to need some kind of portable computer for school this fall, in addition to a desktop. I was leaning towards a laptop, but this device seems intriguing. Any thoughts on which would be better?
  3. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

To me its a no brainer, spring for the laptop, tablets a nice but cannot replace laptops or netbooks just yet, in my opinion. I guess the tablet option is somewhat more portable but a netbook is much more flexible, not to mention in some cases cheaper and you can store more data. Plus laptops/netbooks will last longer and at the rate these tablets are being pushed out, this model will be obsolete in a year and a good laptop should last you for 3-5 years.

You may look "cool" with tablet but you will be more productive with a laptop
  4. Morgawr

Morgawr Newcomer, in training Posts: 18

I have one, and I'm still trying to figure out exactly where it 'fits'. It certainly is a cool device, but it lacks a lot from the productivity point of view. I guess if all you need it for is to type papers, then it would be just fine. However, if you need any more advanced apps (say a simple programming language like python) it doesn't exist. So all considered, a netbook or ultra thin is probably the better choice for things school related...

It really is just a giant smartphone at this point with a keyboard.
  5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Yeah, the obsolescence is/was my main holdup. Time to browse the laptop guide. Thanks!
  6. supertech

supertech TechSpot Member Posts: 80   +9

I have this unit and at that price range you can't beat it and I was even able to upgrade to Android 3.1 over the air. The battery life is very disappointing through and doesn't live up to what it advertises or my iPad.
  7. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

I've got the early Galaxy tab 7" and bought the keyboard dock as well and writing up emails is fine but writing up and formating documents isn't worth it in my opinion. Nothing beats a mouse and keyboard combo for document formatting. Which is why the tab has become a primarily a browser and gps device.

No worries :)
  8. The ASUS transformer is by far the best tablet so pleased with mine and has come down in price as well - http://amzn.to/jLbPxq
  9. Omnislip

Omnislip Newcomer, in training Posts: 96

The difference between 7" and 10" is much more significant than I think you imagine. Furthermore, the availability of a trackpad is significant, and the possibility of a USB mouse. You shouldn't recommend people away from a very good solution to their needs because you have had a bad experience with a completely different product.
  10. Omnislip, op requested recommendations; as such, they were provided based on the posters' opinions.

I would second, or even third, those suggesting a laptop over a tablet.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.