Asus G51VX-RX05 stuck in headphones mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already did

I've tried vista's sound controler
I've tried Realtek's controller
I've also tried Dolby's controller

They all register it's working and that headphones are plugged in

Have you tried reinstalling/updating the drivers for the onboard sound? If you can't get anything out of the regular speaker port, it may be fried. I would recommend looking in the BIOS for an option but if onboard sound is enabled, usually all the ports are live.

If i plug in speakers it works but if I unplug them the onboard speakers don't work

btw I already tried reinstalling drivers

Not sure what you mean by "onboard speakers." If your motherboard has onboard sound, the speakers (or headphones) are plugged directly into the board via the I/O panel in the back.

Okay, I just realized that you are using a notebook... i would look in the manual and possibly search for some kind of mute button on the computer itself. Sometimes there is a keyboard shortcut that is used to cancel out the speakers as well.

I have the same laptop (Asus G51Vx-RX05) bought from BB in beginning of Nov. 2009.
My internal speakers worked fine yesterday and today they don't.
I checked the pins on the actual headphone jack. The problem is not software be it Windows 7, XP, or the Realtek drivers. The problem is when you slide the headphone 1/8" plug into the slot the spring pins push back to tell the laptop that the headphones are plugged in and when you slide it out the pins spring back into position to tell the laptop to use its own internal speakers.
Apparently these pins are not popping back into place and on my laptop one pin popped back out like it should and the other pin is still pushed back in as if the headphones were still plugged into the port. Don't believe me?
Turn your laptop on its side and use a bright flashlight to look at the pins. You'll see on the mic and input jack that the pins are both pushed in the middle waiting for a plug to slide into the slot. Now look at the headphone port. Notice the difference? On my laptop one pin is correctly just sitting there but the other pin in pushed out to signal the laptop that the headphones are plugged in.

I'm trying to use a small screw driver or something to fix it but its not working so far.
Next step might be to take the laptop apart myself (I've done it before to other laptops) and fix or replace the headphone jack.

Any suggestions or comments?

I have an Asus G60VX-RBBX05 that i bought from Best Buy in Dec 09, and am having the same problem. I unplugged usb speakers and the sound wouldn't work unless I plug them back in. However, one thing I noticed is that the bios uses the speakers at POST just fine. This tells me that it is a Win 7 issue. I am going to try the ASUS fastboot option and see what happens... I will quick post a reply asap.

Hi delltrainer,
I took my G51 apart and I took pictures. The problem is not a win7 issue nor an OS issue in general. The company that makes the headphone port for ASUS is a company based in Colorado Springs, CO and the ports are simply defective. They must have a mnaufacturing problem. I took the whole laptop apart to get to the headphone port PCB board. It's a PCB about 4" long and 1" wide. It has 2 USB ports, the headphone port, the microphone port, and a S/PDIF port. The headphone port pins were in fact bad. I contacted ASUS CS and they said bring it to BB since BB is the authorized service center. I brought it back to BB and they say that they are not authorized to service the ASUS laptops but they can only offer an exchange or store credit. I accepted the store credit and returned the laptop.
The laptop is frankly a real waste of money. You can get a similar priced laptop from Newegg.com for about the same price or a little more with a core i7 720qm CPU and NVIDIA 240m GPU which might not be as awesome graphics wise but still a hell of a better deal since the CPU far kills the core 2 duo. Bring yours back and shop Newegg. You'll see a better deal and you can still get financing through Newegg.

Enunziata,
Thank you very much for the info. I really appreciate it. I was lucky enough to get the onboard speakers to work again and will be very cautious. I just purchased the laptop a month ago... just a few days over. Since I work for BB, I am sure they wont give me a challenge with exchanging it not to mention the discount was sweet.

I used an electric lubricant and sprayed the headphones with it. Then inserted the jack many times(about 10) to get the lubricant inside the jack without over saturation. I am still using regular heaphones and have had no problems... still crossing my fingers. Good luck

Hi delltrainer,
I took my G51 apart and I took pictures. The problem is not a win7 issue nor an OS issue in general. The company that makes the headphone port for ASUS is a company based in Colorado Springs, CO and the ports are simply defective. They must have a mnaufacturing problem. I took the whole laptop apart to get to the headphone port PCB board. It's a PCB about 4" long and 1" wide. It has 2 USB ports, the headphone port, the microphone port, and a S/PDIF port. The headphone port pins were in fact bad. I contacted ASUS CS and they said bring it to BB since BB is the authorized service center. I brought it back to BB and they say that they are not authorized to service the ASUS laptops but they can only offer an exchange or store credit. I accepted the store credit and returned the laptop.
The laptop is frankly a real waste of money. You can get a similar priced laptop from Newegg.com for about the same price or a little more with a core i7 720qm CPU and NVIDIA 240m GPU which might not be as awesome graphics wise but still a hell of a better deal since the CPU far kills the core 2 duo. Bring yours back and shop Newegg. You'll see a better deal and you can still get financing through Newegg.

Same exact issue. I bought a G60VX-RBBX09 from Best Buy less than a year ago. It's been stuck in headphones mode for months.

I thought they wont take a return after 30 days, even if it is broke? I bought no service plans. And I surely dont want to ship it away to Asus for weeks as I use my laptop every day for work.

Call Best Buy asap!

Altho they don't take returns, i believe it comes with a one-year warranty that Best Buy's "Geek Squad" will honor. So best to call them ASAP to check while it still might be under warranty and you might just be able to take it to your local Best Buy to fix under warranty

Call Best Buy asap!

Altho they don't take returns, i believe it comes with a one-year warranty that Best Buy's "Geek Squad" will honor. So best to call them ASAP to check while it still might be under warranty and you might just be able to take it to your local Best Buy to fix under warranty

Rather than be without my laptop for weeks while they try and fix it or send it away to Asus, I would probably be better off just selling it for half price or something. Better than the hassle of dealing with GeekSquad as I know a lot more about PC repair than most of them do. I have been building and repairing my own PCs since the 80's. I don't get down to the soldering level unfortunately.

Same problem with Asus 51VX

Same problem, headphones worked fine speakers stopped working.

I respectfully disagree with the "stuck switch" idea. The headphones seem to use an connection between the outter most contacts to detect headphones and deal with it in software. I checked this out with a paperclip and a red LED lights up at the bottom of the jack indicating "headphones".

I fixed my problem by having headphones in the jack with the laptop on then hitting the power button (sleep mode for me) pulling the headphones out and hitting power again.

I hope this fixes your problem too!

FYI Asus 51vx Windoze 7

I used an electric lubricant and sprayed the headphones with it. Then inserted the jack many times(about 10) to get the lubricant inside the jack without over saturation. I am still using regular heaphones and have had no problems... still crossing my fingers. Good luck

i used to have the same problem for a year, but now i removed the card with the headphone jack and yessss i hear those beutifulls speakers, now i will try the electric lubricant in order to enjoy my full asus g50....

im so happy :), thx a lot dude,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back