ASUS K8V Deluxe reboots with games

By BWinc
Feb 8, 2005
  1. CPU: AMD 64 3200+
    MB: Asus KV8 Deluxe
    Ram: 1 GB (512x2) Kingston DDR PC- 3200
    PSU: POWMAX 450 Watts
    Video: Leadtek A400 TDH

The system will reboot everytime I play a game. Runs fine under "normal loads". I've been tackling this issue with my KV8 (not SE) Deluxe for about a year. I used to have a Sapphire 9600XT when this first occured and I attacked the problem from the point of it being a video card issue. I lowered the AGP to 4x, turned cool'n'quiet off, then on, set bios to default, ran memtest (successfully), moved memory to slots 1/2 & 1/3, swapped them around, replaced my PSU, I loaded the lastest video drivers (or back rev'd them), updated DirectX and checked cooling.

I then bought a Leadtek 6800. Same thing, reboots. So I'm thinking its a MB issue now. I've unchecked the auto restart in Windows XP SP2 Start and Recovery to see if I'd get a blue screen. I didn't get one. Each crash does write to the minidump file. Unfortunately I don't know how to decypher them.

I never upgraded the bios from 1003 because I don't like messing with the bios unless it specifically address a pertinent problem. If I am required to update the bios I will need specific instructions as ASUS's instructions suck.

What am I missing?

TIA

2. BWinc

BWinc TS Rookie Topic Starter

I've also run CPU Burn-in to test the CPU at load and for high temps. It. No errors. It looking more like a MB issue.

3. PsyMan

PsyMan TS Rookie

I had the same problem when I removed my third memory stick leaving me with 2 x 512mb Kingston DDR 3200's on the KV8 SE Deluxe

I could run OK with one stick but not with 2, I thought it was a memory stick BUT I bought another before sending the supposedly bad one back and then tried 1.5Gb DDR and all is fine again. very odd problem but resolved with 3 sticks. Perhaps it is becuase of the lower speed that putting 3 stick in causes. You could try setting the DDR speed to 200mhz instead of 400mhz and see if that solves it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.