Asus keyboard issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerrly

Wondering if anyone has had or has heard of this problem I've been having with my Asus laptop. When I'm typing, the computer will miss many of the characters I type, requiring me to backspace and re-insert them more slowly. It is not an issue with any specific keys; it's all the keys. The problem seems to be worse the longer my laptop is on. It's almost like something in the background is interfering with the messages my keyboard is sending.

After installing several drivers, I sent my laptop to Asus and they reseated the keyboard and noted that it's working properly. I think the biggest issue is that none of the techs seem to understand that I'm not having a physical problem with the keys. It's so frustrating! It's also impossible to write a paper without going out of my mind. Unfortunately, I didn't discover the problem until after the 2 weeks during which I could have returned the computer to Best Buy!

Anyway, the model is X83Vb (X83 series), if that helps.
Intel Core 2 duo @ 2.00Ghz each
4GB RAM
Windows Vista 64bit

-Donna

USB keyboard

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. Try this little experiment to narrow the problem down significantly: plug a keyboard into one of the USB ports and try typing on it. We can go from there.

P.S. Something is really screwy with the forum lately... sorry if this double-posts.

USB keyboard

Hi, Thomas. Thanks for the reply. I'm using a USB keyboard right now and I tested it out in Word for a few minutes... there weren't any errors. What could be the problem with the internal keyboard?

Thanks!

Viruses and spyware can raise havoc with your keyboard... But more common is dirt, lint, hair, and fibre.

The laptop is 2 months old and is equipped with anti-virus and spyware software. Given its age, it's unlikely there is any dirt in the keyboard. Any other ideas?

Same keyboard problem

Hi,

Just to let you know that I still have the same problem keyboard on my Asus Notebook G50VT since I bought it about six month ago.

I do understand your frustration. I gave up trying to find the solution. Except from time to time like now as I saw your post.

Please let me know if you find out. I'll do the same.

Jean

Ughh it's ridiculous! I'm sending my laptop in for the second time. I will update you when I get it back.

Almost solved...

I tried to post that answer before but I realized it did not accept URL. So here it is again...

I think it solved the problem to update the BIOS to v. 213 from support dot asus dot com (download section) and follow your User Manual instruction on how to upgrade.

Take a look here for more on this keyboard issue:

forum dot notebookreview dot com

thread number 5212906

It indicates also that you have also to install something else, but I'm currently facing another problem concerning my dual boot sincethat upgrade (vista and xp). So that will be my first priority.

Jean

I tried to post that answer before but I realized it did not accept URL. So here it is again...

I think it solved the problem to update the BIOS to v. 213 from support dot asus dot com (download section) and follow your User Manual instruction on how to upgrade.

Take a look here for more on this keyboard issue:

forum dot notebookreview dot com

thread number 5212906

It indicates also that you have also to install something else, but I'm currently facing another problem concerning my dual boot sincethat upgrade (vista and xp). So that will be my first priority.

Jean

Thread number won't be useful. Sorry. Search for "Asus G50V Keyboard problem"

PROBLEM RESOLVED!

Uninstall the Synaptics mouse driver. It's that simple.

Btw, I sent my laptop in to Asus a second time and they still were unable to fix my problem. I did research last night on the problem and uninstalled the Synaptics driver today. It worked.

But how can it operate without the Synaptics driver? What are you using? What drives the mouse?

problems with the keyboard

Hi Gerrly,

Thanks a lot for your advice. I was having exactly the same problems with my F83VF model too. Now the typing works just fine. There is one minor problem though.

After uninstalling the Synaptics mouse driver I can no longer disable the touchpad. Any idea how to solve this?

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Probably not. The Synaptics driver is what drives the touchpad... the keyboard is secondary

No, I haven't been able to find a way to disable the touchpad. The lesser of two evils, if you ask me.

Hmm anybody else that might be able to help? It seems that the driver automatically reinstalls when I reboot the system. Then the touchpad can be disabled again. Do I have to delete the entire driver?

Hmm the problem seems to be coming back every time I restart. Should I uninstall and delete the driver software as well?

yeah well said...the lesser of two evils. haha. thanks a lot for your help gerrly. eased a lot of my frustration. do tell me if you manage to find a way to disable the touchpad though. thanks.

Is it not a Synaptics board... they invented it... and have used varieties of it since the80's in Thinkpads and many others.

What do you find irritating about the Synaptics?

so... anyone find a way to disable the touchpad without the annoying synaptics software?
Check to take a look in Control Panel->Mouse for Touchpad controls... btw you may only need to modify Touchpad sensitivity / options to avoid your touchpad issues vs. actually turning the touchpad off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back