Winxp, sp2
    Kingston KVR400x64ce/512
    Radeon 9800 pro
    Masscool CPU fan
    80g Samsung hd
    40g WD hd
    3 case fans
    450 watt PSU Hercules

System boots up fine, when I run any programs the system reboots on me. I am still trying to use windows update. I am going thru computer withdraws.

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

Could be any number of things, but the most common cause of system reboots is drivers.

Have a look here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic44306.html

And try to elimate each step. One of them is likely your problem.

Good luck!

3. mrracqt

mrracqt TS Rookie Topic Starter

I did forget to mention this is a new setup.

I did finally get the latest bios loaded onto the computer.
    The radeon 9800 pro card is installed ,but not the drivers. I can not keep the system up long enough to download the latest driver. It does semm to run the best in the morning. It took me 4 days to install 44 windows updates.
    When I boot everything seems to be normal, temps are fine. 90 sec of going on line, it reboots.

4. 0009

0009 TS Rookie Posts: 80

something definately with the drivers, maybe a damaged usb port? maybe it shorted out the mobo or something.

5. mrracqt

mrracqt TS Rookie Topic Starter

I couldn't take it anymore, I started over with reformatting hd.

Everything semmed to be fine until I installed windows service pack 2. After installation, I rebooted. Every program I ran the system would reboot. The system would stayup long enough to check for patch updates. I remove SP2, everything is fine again.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.