TechSpot

Asus laptop card reader stopped working

By JesseM
Jul 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have had my ASUS G51VX laptop for a couple years now and it's still going strong. However, just recently the built-in SD card reader has stopped reading cards for some reason. When I pop in a card Windows will make the sound that a USB device has been plugged in and then a couple seconds later it will make the unplugged sound. The "Removable Storage Device" does not show up in Computer. I've tried looking through the Device Manager to find the card reader and re-install the driver, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I suppose it is one of the USB controllers. I've also tried multiple SD cards so I know it's not the card.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
  2. xcylent

xcylent TS Booster Posts: 267   +17

Don't know If this will help, but I had a similar problem with my laptop (not ASUS though). I tried everything, ended up re-installing windows, which fixed it.
  3. JesseM

JesseM TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 259

Thanks for the response, xcylent, however it has randomly started working again without me doing anything. I suspect there was some dust in the reader or something.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.