Asus laptop won't turn on

I have an ASUS G73JH, windows 7 64bit home premium. Short version: When I hit the power button, the lights come on for a split second, but then stop, and nothing happens. It won't turn on at all.

I've tried taking out the battery, hitting the reset button with a straightened paper clip, holding the power button for 30 seconds before trying to turn it on without the battery, and every combination. Local computer shop never found a hardware issue. Whenever I turned it into them, they would set it on their shelf and call me the next day, "well, it's working fine now, and we didn't really do anything." Then I'd try to turn it on the next morning, and it wouldn't work. Rinse, repeat several times. They claim to have taken it all apart and didn't find anything physically wrong.

When it was in a good mood, and turned finally on, I FIXED IT FOR 2 MONTHS. I got some advice that the problem happened when it went into sleep/hibernate, that the memory file was somehow corrupted. In other words, software problem, not hardware. I changed the settings to that it would NEVER EVER go to sleep, I disabled ALL updates, etc, and it worked beautifully. Until the other night when, for no discernible reason, the exact same thing is happening again. Only now, it's been dead for 4 days with no miracle wake-up.

Any help would be very, very welcome; thanks in advance.

I have one that when it boots up it has bad internal battery backup issue. ASUS had this for LED/LCD panel issue I found out. Got them to repair it for free.

Your issue sounds like MOBO is faulty. How long have you had this model. If you can you should send it back to ASUS and let them repair it. Otherwise you seem to tried everything which is the common steps to take is the battery take out. Rest it and etc..

Prior to all these issues what were you doing when it worked 100%?

I've had this laptop for nearly 3 years. I will send it in... when I have the money to do so. Whenever I call ASUS, they tell me that since I bought it at Best Buy, I need to send it to them. And my warranty is up. So, money.

"Prior to all these issues what were you doing when it worked 100%?" I'm not sure what you mean. As far as I know there wasn't one triggering issue, it just happened one day.

That's odd, that's what ASUS told me too as well. Since I got it from Best Buy I needed to take to them. I told them NO! I can tell you what's wrong with it since I use to repair laptops for the DELL, HP, IBM and Toshiba. Anyway my ASUS is acting up again. I won't never buy anything from them again. I'll stick with ACER & ACER/GATEWAY.

I usually ask client or end users what they were doing prior to any issues. But it seems you were normally using it and then it started to fail on you. So you sent the tablet back to them in repairs also. Most of today's hardware issues are from MOBO (motherboard) everything integrated on that board. All these techs do is replace the board, test out the laptop and then it back to you.

If it can't be repaired then they'll issue you a factory rebuilt or a new model? Varies.

Right now your choices are to either get it fix or just go buy a newer laptop. That's your choice.

Back