Asus lays out tablet plans with Android, ARM, Windows, Intel

Emil

Staff

Many upcoming Asustek tablets have already been hinted, leaked, or even revealed at trade shows. That being said, Asustek president Jerry Shen has revealed some of the launch details to Digitimes. Starting this December, Asus will begin officially announcing tablets in 7", 9", 10", and 12" form factors. In short, we should see five or six tablets from Asus at CES 2011.

In January, the 12 incher will be available for purchase (previous rumors said either December or January); it will be running Windows (earlier said Windows Embedded Compact) on an Intel chipset. Interestingly, Shen says that Microsoft assisted in the development by making several enhancements to the touch controls and the user interface.

In March, Asus will launch two 7 inchers (one with WiFi and the other with 3.5G and phone functions) as well as two 9 inchers (an ARM-based Tegra 2 model running Android and another Windows + Intel tablet) with a price gap of $100. We've already heard talk of the 10 incher Android device that is supposed to cost under $400.

Permalink to story.

There's going to be flood of these things when/if all of "speculated" Android tablets hit the market. Hopefully we'll be able to scoop up a decent tab for under a couple bills... You know, something with a decent processor, running 2.1+; not like the Walgreen's bargain bin special that was posted a couple days ago with the 400mhz VIA proc :-/

The Asus tablet might be interesting. They did well in the netbook market so it will be interesting to see if their success translates onto a tablet.

If I were ASUS, I wouldn't release anything smaller than a 10". That would tell Apple "Hey, we're looking directly at you Buddy". Everyone is releasing a 7" anyways aren't they? Or was it 8"? I forget. There are so many now.

I just cant see tablets becoming popular. I think Asus is taking a risk with these. People either want a phone (like an Evo) or they'd probably go to a netbook or a netbook with touchscreen. To me a tablet is just a phone without the phone capabilities so from my perspective i just dont see this happening too well. To each their own though.

Asus tablet running Andriod. Eh... that makes me a little closer to wanting to get one. "Wanting" keyword.. lol

peperonikiller said:
I just cant see tablets becoming popular. I think Asus is taking a risk with these. People either want a phone (like an Evo) or they'd probably go to a netbook or a netbook with touchscreen. To me a tablet is just a phone without the phone capabilities so from my perspective i just dont see this happening too well. To each their own though.

Well, i want a tablet. For me, the idea of using it to read web, book, and using web apps while we take a morning coffe is great idea. Phone have smaller screen, and netbook isn't comfortable to hold with just one hand.

I'll say it now and save TS members a large number of post. You are an *****. Tablet based pc's is the future in more markets than electronic items you own in your home.

Sweet, more tablet devices! I've been watching this emerging market since the iPad release and i'm glad to still see it moving forward. I'm also glad to see there will be more Windows-based ones instead of just the Slate. I know i'll be buying one, I just dont know which. Unlike most, I can also be patient and wait for a bunch to come out before making a decision.

I dont know the use of tablet when our smartphones can do everything that a tablet can. then why so crazy?

Tablet craze finally get to Asus as well. Tbh I don't understand the need apart from the "hip" factor.

supersmashbrada said:

I'll say it now and save TS members a large number of post. You are an *****. Tablet based pc's is the future in more markets than electronic items you own in your home.

I just read in my local newspaper the tablet killer is already in the making & it is being developed by few students from the xxxx university.I don't believe the article because it did not mention any specific details but seems true since a I.T. giant is backing the project & some guy with the giant confirmed they were backing the project but refused to comment what the gadget actually is.Just another article in the newspaper i guess but would be really interesting if the article is true !

There are new tablets comming out like I don't know what! I hope that the increase in the variety of tablets will create enough competition to significantly drop down the prices, so that we can all afford to have one. It doesn't sound that realisitic!

hassaan said:
Tablet craze finally get to Asus as well. Tbh I don't understand the need apart from the "hip" factor.

agreed, although the hip factor means nothing to me if I have no need for the tablet!

Looking forward to some high-quality Android tables becoming available. These will be nice for quick whip-it-out need-to-lookup-something uses. Or for sitting around the living room.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing the point of this whole tablet thing. Too big to fit in your pocket, not nearly as good input as a laptop . . . ?

Back