Asus M2N-E SLI Ram problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacer

I think my mobo may be damaged runinng vista premium 64 bit i was puting new memory in to
my computer and now its starting up and only showing 1gb of ram it should
show 4gb did i buy the right memory
it came with two kingston 2gb Kingston KVR667D2N5/1G 1GB DDR2-667 PC2-5300 voltage 1.8v

and i bought 2gb ddr2-533cl=4-4-4-12 pc2 -4300 voltage 1.8v have taking them in
and out only one slot seems to be only one socket working on the pc its dimm_b2 1023bites
runinng at 533 mhz anybody help me

system specs
Asus M2N-E SLI
Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ X2 Dual Core Processor
GeForce 8500 GT
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer /or on board c-media
700watt power suppy

The RAM that came with your system is rated for speeds of 667MHz. The new RAM you purchased is rated for 533MHz, so, even if your system manages to recognize all 4GB of RAM they're only going to run at 533MHz unless you overclock. RAM will only run as fast as the slowest module installed (in your case 533MHz).

Despite that, it should still be compatible with your system. Make sure you're installing the two module that came with your system into slots DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 (they're both yellow). Install the two new modules into slots DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 (they're both black). Make sure all of the RAM is totally seated.

There is really very little difference between 667 MHz and 533 MHz, but the ASUS will detect that difference, and often give you real trouble. ASUS really likes all memory to be fast and in matched modules.

thanks raybay and zenosinks for your reply whats happened now is the first memory module socket is the only one working the other 3 are not working at all i did put the memory in corectly, i tried one memory mod in every socket and the only one working is the first black one the others give off a bleeping noise and the computer will not boot ,used memtest and windows memory test extended test and that detected hardware problems that showed one memory module ive heard of people have big problems with this motherboard i think ill send it back to wher it came from

How many DIMM slots does your motherboard have and what colors are they? There's a really good chance that one stick went bad and that's the one you are transferring from slot to slot to test it. That bleeping noise you're hearing is a memory error from the mobo. Usually; but not always depending on the board, there will be two DDR2 single channel slots and two Dual Channel slots. Both are different colors. I've seen them white (single channel) blue, yellow, green and red.

How many DIMM slots does your motherboard have and what colors are they? There's a really good chance that one stick went bad and that's the one you are transferring from slot to slot to test it. That bleeping noise you're hearing is a memory error from the mobo. Usually; but not always depending on the board, there will be two DDR2 single channel slots and two Dual Channel slots. Both are different colors. I've seen them white (single channel) blue, yellow, green and red.

He's got four DIMM slots, two yellow (DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1) and two black (DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2). Both are capable of running Dual Channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back