How much is this PC worth (rough estimate if possible)

terry5880

hi all just bought pc tower . but wanna find how much it is worth if possible ..its sparkling clean and more or less brand new probaly few months old, its. asus pc ,
msi motherboard , msi platinum editon win xp pro sp3 , but gonna upgrade to win 7 ultimate,
cpu dual core amd athlon 64x2 3000mhz , 6000+ ,,
mb name MSI K9N SLI PLATINUM MS-7250,,,
RAM 2gig ddr2 800 sram kingston KTC1G-UDIMM
bios type AMI 31/7/07
graphics-nvidia Geforce 8600gts 256mb
audio adapter - realtek alc888/s/t@nvidia nforce 570sli
disk drive generic usb cf reader usb device x4
maxtor stm3500630as (500gb) 7200rpm sata 2
number 2 same as above
number 3- ST 3500630AS 500gb 7200rpm sata 2
number 4ST3500841AS 500gb 7200rpm sata 2
partitions c,d,e,f (ntfs) 465.8 gb on all
netword adapters -x2 nvidia nforce 10/100/1000 mbps ethernet
firewire controller x2 via vt6307 fire iim ieee1394
host controller ( phy : viavt 6307 + 1 infared port
usb 1 and 2 controller nvidia nforc 570 sli
dmi total/free memory slots 4/2
system slots agp-pci1 ( memory devices dimm 0,1,2,3
got this all from everest any other info needed please ask thanks for any help

hi all just bought pc tower, but wanna find how much it is worth if possible ..its sparkling clean and more or less brand new probaly few months old.

bios type AMI 31/7/07

Before I can give an approx price tag on your system, one thing for me needs a little clarification, maybe this to will help others slap a price tag on your system.

But I'm a little leery with the use of some words here, "just bought" and "brand new' and "few months old"! But with the BIOS having a version date of July-31-2007, how new can this computer be?

I'll just sit back a while and see if this can be clearly explained by either you and or someone else out there who might have an answer. After that I may slap a price tag on what I feel this system is worth. But do take one thing into consideration when standing by and awaiting peoples approx value of your system. Just like buying a new car, once it's front two tires hit a city street the dealership automatically devalues the car by 1/4 right from the get go, I should know I worked for Chevrolet as a car salesman for 3 years. So as like with cars so true with computers, they can depreciate their value very quickly. Even just by burning some hours on a computer, it can therefor go towards people not looking as the system as brand new anymore, but rather they might now think depreciated value.

Just something to think about!

yes sorry about that I just bought it 2nd hand but its immaculate condition as if just been built but like you say bios shows 2007 so probaly old . it just looks as if been built its got a psu in it chrome with like phono sort of plugged leads into one ive never come across before.. anyway sorry for the confusion ,, I also got a 20.1 inch asus vw202sr monitor with it I looked for price on that every but cant get one just 9.2 out of 10 and a 10/10 rating . I got it so cheap and might keep it but depending on what its worth I might sell as got it very cheap
[FONT=Arial Black] [/FONT]

Honestly... maybe $100 simply because of all the hard drives. If those drives are actually new then maybe $150. Take out 3 of the 4 hard drives and it looks like something I'd donate to a church or something.

I bought it for £25 I looked at what bits are going for 2nd hand on ebay and it adds up to £200 so far

Personally if someone was trying to make a deal with me on buying this system......"as is", I think I would feel comfortable starting the deal out some where around $250.00 to maybe a maximum of $300.00, maybe, but only if the computer glistened like a glowing Greek Goddess. As my Brother in arms LNCPapa has stated is the hard drive factor, that could do something to the price tag. For me I'm not so much concerned with the hard drives and how much mileage they got on them, I'm taking note of the Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT, which by the way is only certified up to DirectX 10.0 and wouldn't work with many of today's video applications, like video games for starters. Next I would take note of your processor, even the fact that it's dual core, it still might not be up to the job to handle many of today's software programs that at a minimum calls for quad core technology. I should know, I have a very similar setup here on my laptop, an Intel Centrino Dual Core @ 2.8 Gig's of power, built around the same time as your AMD Athlon 62x2 6000+, which simply is their fancy way of saying the thing is a 64 bit dual core 3.0 Gig processor. You, like I have, will run into the truths and facts that our processors sometimes aren't up to some of the jobs that we throw at it. The last think I'll poke my nose at is the RAM. Industry standard at this moment is systems being built and offered with a minimum of 4 Gig's of RAM in them. 2 Gig's was cool and all for things both hardware and software that were introduced back in like 2007 or 2008 and early 2009, but today 2 Gig's will barely float the boat, if not just have it sink it all together. My laptop I'm on right now was built back in 2008, for it's specs go to my profile page and look in information, but it was built around the same time period as your system now. I had to throw a lot of money into my laptop every so often as to help keep it current with the sign of the times. You eventually, like I am currently, will have top face the truth and facts that our systems have been "MAX'D" out and really no more can be done as to help try and make them a bit more current that they are. I'm max'd out, I can't do any more to mine, the next level to go to as to be more current with today's computers will be to go to a computer store and buy a new one.

So when taking into some of these facts, when trying to slap a price tag on your system, that is why I kind of "low balled" the price, due to the fact that who ever buy's it will run into the upgrade brick wall fairly quickly and realize they kind of have an old clunker on their hands. But honestly, it is a fairly decent setup, even with it's age and all, if it was me, I wouldn't try to sell it, I'd hold onto it and use it as best I could, even with it's age limitations. I think if it were me, and seeing I get a real kick out of taking older systems and trying push them to the extreme, I would treat the computer as a weekend warrior thing, buying new older parts from the day and seeing how much power I could get out of it before it exploded. But that's just me, I get off taking systems like yours and mine and bending them, twisting them and taking them all the way to their breaking point before I'm satisfied that I now have a decent system on my hands.

Throw in that monitor into the deal and maybe you'll get around $325.00, who knows! :)

zen thank you for your input great to read I bought it for £25 so even if I got £100 for it its a £75 profit the psu I not seen 1 like it its chrome with like phono plugs coming out but no stickers to say what wattage etc .. also should I upgrade it to windows 7 ultimate then put on ebay starting and £70 ? . thanks again both for helping .. I only bought it as a profilt as my computer im on I built myself 2 years ago it has dual core intel core duo E6750 2.66ghz , North Bridge: Intel Bearlake G31/G33/P31/P35 ,,2gig ram asus p5kpl-am-epu motherboard . 500gb seagate 7200rpm with nvidia geforce 8800gt so thats ok does the job for me lol

The problem is (and this isn't taking your current location into consideration) deals like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.956686 where everything about this machine will be faster than the used one you just purchased. Again, all the money I'd give would be toward the drives in that machine - everything else is on the verge of obsolescence. I think you'll be able to get £70 for it fairly easily, but I wouldn't bother throwing in Win 7 at that price (and it probably wouldn't be legit anyway). If people are going to violate EULAs and other licensing aspects let them do it themselves - don't help them or get yourself dragged into a possible mess that wouldn't be worth £70.

W/O even reading all the responses before hand I noticed the hdd's and came up with a number of around 150 usd. If you're getting rid of it and don't mind doing it a little faster than a snails pace you could seperate the rig and sell it that way. Otherwise its not a bad starter rig to sell to someone for basic computing.

Wow, you are thinking about installing Windows 7 Ultimate Edition on that thing, no way! Don't even bother going out or shopping around on-line for that O.S. If I were you, I think I would stick to something more appropriate that was around during your computer "hay day"! Maybe something like Microsoft's Windows XP Professional or at the most, maybe, and this might be a real stretch, but maybe something like Microsoft's Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) Edition. But think, Windows XP Professional would fly like mach 2 on that computer of yours.

And again, if it were me, I'd treat that computers of yours as sort of a weekend warrior thing. Like some people who work on project cars on the weekends in their garages, I'd do the same for that computer. Turn it into a project computer, have some fun with it, do periodic upgrades, maybe throw in a new or new to the time processor, that will work with you motherboard. Then maybe turn around some point later and maybe Google your motherboards technical spec's and see how much RAM it can support and buy the appropriate RAM for it's day and throw it in there. Then perhaps, if it means anything to you, maybe check and see if any of the more modern Nvidia video cards would work in that computer, perhaps some card that supports DirectX 11.0! And if you do indeed take me up on all this advise, maybe do a little research on your computers power supply and make sure that thing is up to the job, in regards to supporting all these advised upgrades. If not, buy a new one, not a second hand one, a new one, that perhaps has a power rating of some where around 650 watts to like 700 watts to start out with. Me, I'm very anal about my power supply's,. if it were me, I'd go "BIG"! Maybe something in the 1000 watt range, but hay that's just me.

Unless those hard drives are giving off any indication of being on their way out, I wouldn't worry so much about replacing them. Maybe take a couple out after being formatted to NTFS, then take them out of the computer and put them on the shelf for a while, save one or two of them as back up drives, for in case your primary hard drive takes a crap, you'll have more in reserve. And maybe the last thing I would ever think about upgrading with your system would be the sound solution. Maybe something like upgrading to a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Fatal1ty Professional series, that would "MAX" out your sound solution, pretty much make your system modern when it comes to sound.

Well I hope at least some, if not all of this has helped!

yea this is what I would do if had time I just see it in work and thought hmm £25 I can earn £50 profit minimum off that so got it for quick profit my own computer that im on now I done as a little warm up project as above I stated my specs for my own pc do u think thats ok or what parts could I upgrade mine is 750w psu dual core intel core duo E6750 2.66ghz , North Bridge: Intel Bearlake G31/G33/P31/P35 ,,2gig ram asus p5kpl-am-epu motherboard . 500gb seagate 7200rpm with nvidia geforce 8800gt so thats ok does the job for me lol . I know its not all that but does what I need it for .. thanks again for all info all

also I work with pc,s laptops so got all genuine multi licensed windows disks

The value of you computer can be measured by how much you get for the 2TB worth of storage you have in 500GB blocks. Don't put Win7 on there, it will not cope well. Vista will only do worse than Win7. If you don't sell it, turning it into a file-server using Windows XP would be an excellent project. Windows File Sharing for you local network and something like Filezilla (FTP) for web hosting would be great.

@Leeky, make a how-to on Ubuntu Server. It's fairly nice (I'll likely stick to XP and my IIS..) FTP, NFS, Samba... Perhapse cover some of the nicer features like e-mail, web, and SSH.

@Leeky, make a how-to on Ubuntu Server. It's fairly nice (I'll likely stick to XP and my IIS..) FTP, NFS, Samba... Perhapse cover some of the nicer features like e-mail, web, and SSH.

That's on the list, along with Ubuntu's latest release which I'm yet to cover. Will be working on both of them very soon.

I did consider doing an introduction to Linux, but the problem is I'd have to change certain applications dependent on what distro and DE were used for some things like email as they differ between Gnome, XFCE and KDE, as well as distros. Some functions are the same regardless of what you're using however, so it's likely I'll just focus on them.

I'll probably cover walk-through introductions on more popular distros however, like Ubuntu and Linux Mint and openSUSE as that offers more unified controls between the various different DE's.

Back