TechSpot

Asus M70 is the first desktop tower with integrated NFC

By Shawn Knight
Sep 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Asus over the weekend unveiled the M70 PC which they claim is the world’s first NFC-equipped desktop tower. The machine also comes equipped with Qi wireless technology that will let you charge a compatible smartphone or tablet simply by resting...

Read more

2. What is NFC?

3. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,386   +480 Staff Member

Smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S3 are equipped with NFC. NFC stands for "Near Field Communication" and is the term given to the transfer of data over very short distances. The article probably should have mentioned that much :)

4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,686   +86

NFC = Near field communication
    Adopted in 2004 Tech
    Set of short-range wireless technologies
    Low-speed connection with extremely simple setup
    Allowing two-way communication between endpoints
    Operates at 13.56MHz
    Rates arevfrom 106 kb to 424 kb
    Enable Bluetooth on both devices, instantly pair them, and disable Bluetooth once complete automatically on both devices

So if you have smartphones, or anything that can use bluetooth then NFC is your friend.

5. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 655   +95

Another means for Government agencies to snoop on your data?

6. Steve

LOL you might notice a government spy placing his phone on top of yours. When I said "very short distances" that's exactly what I meant. It would be an infective means of gathering data :)

7. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 655   +95

Glad to see you understand my joke. Dare say it will be used in a TV spy plot.

8. Steve

Ohh it was a joke, next time stick up the sarcasm sign :) I like your idea for a TV show though.

9. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

I like the integrated QI charger more than the NFC.

10. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 191   +13

NFC? Haha if you want to share data with someone else, just bump your towers together. xD

11. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,333   +278

Funny - look what my buddy bought and gave to me 2 days ago -

[​IMG]

A really neat thing is that the phone knows when it's being charged wirelessly and puts a message up on the screen saying so.

RenGood08 likes this.

12. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 191   +13

Wow...that is most cool.

13. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

It would't surprise me if next gen mobo's incorporate NFC as standard on a lot of their products. AFAIK NFC isn't even implemented on the latest gen smartphones over here so I'm in no hurry to adopt.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.