TechSpot

Asus, MSI or Gigabyte mobo?

By RayRay
Oct 18, 2009
  1. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

All 3 are extremely good. We are all a little partial and favour Gigabyte, but IMO go with the one that is cheapest.

I will be building a computer this Wednesday with the MSI GD65. So if you hold out till then I can tell you my impressions of the board then.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

ASUS is a good board when you finally get it working right. But not a good board for the inexperienced. Usually more difficult with tech support, and with the manual, compared to the other two.

I am partial to the MSI, because of ease of use, and a history of long life with few problems... and generally better tech support.

The Gigabyte is a good board, would win second place for tech support.

NewEgg does a good job of filtering out the turkey boards, because they don't like to deal with returned problem boards, so generally, any board on the NewEgg website is probably a good choice.

3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

as Rit said, all three are very good. they all use high quality Japanese capacitors (nippon/sanyo) Gigabyte has a edge in a few areas. they have a reputation for having the highest manufacturing standards in the industry, they also use the most copper in their PBC's so the cooling is better (particularly the NB) and generally has a slight OC advantage over MSI. all three are excellent and I would rate them as
    1. Gigabyte
    2. Asus
    3.MSI
    ....but not by a large margin between them

4. RayRay

RayRay TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 105

since its the first time i`m gonna build, asus is not the choise because raybay says its not good choise for a newbie like me. hehe. and msi is the easiest to use.

Ritwik7 and red1776 means gigabyte is the best,
    so the battle is between gigabyte and msi.

what is the best choise to this setup?, if its all fits together:stickout::
    PSU: CORSAIR 650W
    GPU: Sapphire HD 4770 512MB gddr5 PCI-E
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 750GB 32MB 7200RPM
    CPU: Intel Core i7 860 2,8Ghz Socket 1156
    RAM: Corsair TWIN3X 1600MHz DDR3, 8GB CL9 Kit 4x2GB
    Soundcard: Creative SB X-FI Titanium

the reason why i have changed from socket 1366 to 1156 its cheaper and a little better CPU for the same price.

Ritwik7 said:
    I will be building a computer this Wednesday with the MSI GD65. So if you hold out till then I can tell you my impressions of the board then.

Yeah, that whould be great:grinthumb
    I`m looking forward to hear about your impressions with the msi mobo.
    its probably not before december i starting to build it, so its gonna be my own chrismas present. yeay

5. magaman598

magaman598 TS Booster Posts: 275

Ray, as I can see just from looking at the Boards you posted, you might want to get a different Processor, the i7 820 won't work in an i5 Board.

:p

6. benken2202001

benken2202001 TS Enthusiast Posts: 155   +16

According to the specs

Also, the board is paired with a Core i7 for a discount, and people in the reviews have said it works well with the i7

I personally would go with the Gigabyte for ease of use and all of the extra software features the company is known to provide.

The joy of building your own PC is being able to choose what hardware you get to put inside. While its good to ask for input, be sure you're making your own decisions.

Also, keep in mind this board supports SLI support. There's much upgrade capability in the future.

7. magaman598

Wow, I learned something tonight, I thought that the i5 and i7 Chips were two completely different Sockets. Teaches me for not knowing too much about Intels Chips eh? lol

8. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

0f course, as with you I am sure, I have several computers. My regular standby is neither of those, but it changes every month or two.

9. magaman598

Yes, I do have several Computers, but mose of them are used at Test Systems. (Testing for Hardware Failure and such) my main one is going to go through an Overhaul here pretty soon. (new case and hopefully Motherboard.)

10. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,370   +125

11. RayRay

uhm.................the gigabyte ga-p55m-ud2 does not have any pci-e x1 slot, soundcard requires one..........i think

12. Ritwik7

Hi RayRay. I haven't yet put together that system for my friend. Have purchased all the parts. Just hold on a couple of days. Will let you know what I think of that MSI board.

13. RayRay

that would be great Ritwik :)

14. hellokitty[hk]

I think it does in fact have one, and soundcards only need a PCI.

15. RayRay

16. hellokitty[hk]

Either way, the motherboard does support it.
    I hope, you have me worried now, anyone else want to confirm?

17. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,457   +228

If you aren't going to use the second PCI-E x16 slot for a graphics card on the Gigabyte motherboard, you can use the PCI-E x1 card in that slot.

18. RayRay

oooooooooohhhhhh....... sorry

I thought that the soundcard needed a short PCI-E, but now it seems like it doesnt matter how big the PCI-E slot is, only it is a PCI-E

Right?

19. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,457   +228

Yes. A smaller one can fit into a larger one although not vice versa.

20. RayRay

ok. learned someting new today

21. Ritwik7

Ok RayRay. I'm done building the rig with the MSI GD65 in it. It's running very well. However, I didn't quite like the layout of the mobo. The user manual seems a little sparse in info, esp. regading the BIOS settings. Also, I would have preferred if the motherboard disc came with a few more utilities.

Otherwise the mobo looks and feels very solid and installation is fairly simple.

22. RayRay

Congratulation Ritwik.

what parts did you use on the system?

23. Ritwik7

The system was for a friend. These are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 750
    Mobo: MSI P55 GD65
    Mem: 2x2GB GB Corsair XMS 3 DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics: Palit GTX 275
    PSU: Corsair 650TX
    HDD: 1TB Seagate (32 MB)
    Case: Cooler Master CM690

24. RayRay

sounds like a great gaming pc

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.