Asus now promises October launch for Eee Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Asus is finally committing to a launch date for its oft-delayed Eee Keyboard. Originally unveiled at CES 2009 back in January and scheduled for a mid-year launch, the standard-sized computer keyboard with a built-in computer is now expected to hit U.S. and European markets starting in October.

Besides packing a 5-inch display on the side the forthcoming device will have a 1.6GHz Atom processor, 1GB of RAM and either a 16GB or 32GB solid state drive. The Eee Keyboard also carries a host of connectivity features; the company's CEO, Jerry Shen, has said they will have a version with wireless HDMI to send HD images to TVs around the house and one sans the feature, in addition to offering 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and wired HDMI.

A final price has not yet been confirmed but some suggest it will be in the $400 to $600 vicinity. Also, given the October launch date, Asus will hopefully ditch XP as the operating system of choice in favor of Windows 7.

Permalink to story.

Nice idea but if I had to look right all the time i used my computer, I would get neck ache.
And I am sure its comparative to using a netbook keyboard and getting hand cramp. You dont use them as long as normal computers but they will give you pain faster.
The screen would be better sliding out from under the back of the keyboard imo.

Well I doubt if very many people will purchase this product for "long term" use in a single sitting sufficient to put your neck out of whack . . lol. Actually, the screen is so close that all you'd really have to do is shift your eyes rather than turn your entire head to the right. Naturally, we'll then hear from those with eye issues for having to look right. You just can't win on issues like this. It's more than likely meant for short term usage and as such may well be an intriguing product for a number of limited uses.
However, what is disturbing me is this is like the third time this product has been pushed back. I'm starting to think there are other problematic issues with it that have been difficult to resolve. Hopefully, the October release date will be it. If it gets pushed back again I'll avoid it.

my point was that the amount of time required using a small device as this before you get issues with cramp or ache is less compared to a normal desktop etc. you wouldnt need to use one "long term". i think trying to use one as a mobile terminal for about 2-3 hours would be enough time to release its uncomfortable to use. its like staring at the number pad instead of straight forward. its going to get uncomfortable. im not surprised it keeps getting pushed back.

Points taken. I think if it was getting pushed back for the issue of the screen being off center they would be moving the screen by now to something like a pull out center mounted screen. Each time it's delayed we see the same device with no changes in this regard. I guess we'll just have to see what the final product reveals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back