Asus offers 24-inch monitor powered solely by USB 3.0

By Emil
Jun 7, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Asus recently demonstrated a USB-powered monitor, the MS248B, which is a modification of the current MS248H. You may want to know why this is so significant. What if I told…

Read the whole story
  2. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 879   +52

It's an interesting concept but I'm curious where it gets 9w from since 900ma * 5v is only 4.5w.
  3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,361   +260

That is a truly awesome breakthrough, and that is some seriously low power consumption for a fairly well spec'ed screen. this would be amazing as an extra screen for my laptop at work, now to convince the boss that a new laptop that supports USB3 is the next hurdle!
  4. stewi0001

stewi0001 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 272

So if I am guessing correctly the USB is just used as a power source, it is not transmitting the video feed too, right?
  5. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

Look again at the article:
    "What if I told you that the 24-inch monitored has just one USB 3.0 port at the back, used for transmitting both power and data through, again, just one USB 3.0 cable."

Seems to me like the video feed is also being fed trough the USB-cable.

As for the 4,5W max vs. the 9W consumption, it seems truly confusing. Pin 1 provides a maximum of 900mA on 5V (=4,5W), and is grounded on pin 4. Pin 2+3 provides data and its respective ground.

So why this actually works seem a bit strange as this is DC current, and not some î vs û AC. Perhaps the idea of a "power-USB" plug kicked off? (A connector capable of delivering much more current than just 900mA...)
  6. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 Newcomer, in training Posts: 489

The 9 watt power consumptions sounds impressive but does that only apply to the monitor when it's idle ? How about when I'm watching a DVD or playing a game, does it not increase beyond the capacity of the USB 3.0 port to provide power to the monitor ?
  7. Raswan

Raswan TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 278

Even if mostly gimmicky, it's another knock against thunderbolt replacing usb 3.0. Sorry Apple.
  8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 9,999   +710

However avant garde this may be, they can keep it.

The current spec for lumems per watt would have to change upwards exponentially, for this tech to of interest to me.

The current crop of "environmentally friendly products", are mostly a lot of hype and reduced illumination.

Personally I don't think 300 nits is bright enough. That amount of output is just passable when the screen is new. Screens darken with time, and that could create a problem in the future.

I speak from experience with 2 IPS panels, a 24" HP, (400 nits) and a 23" 1080P Dell, (300 nits). The Dell needs everything pegged to look good, the HP, not so.
  9. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

"10,000,000:1 contrast ratio"

No. It's 1000:1 static contrast ratio. Why would anyone care about a dynamic contrast ratio?
  10. captaincranky

You're not supposed to "care" about it. You're supposed to be "impressed" by it, then buy one. And guess what, many people will, on the basis of a tricked up spec.
  11. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,259   +215

Made me wonder too. Perhaps it's one of those MacGyvered-up dual USB plugs that draws juice from 2 ports at once (like some of the old external USB hard drive interfaces used to do)?
  12. I think it works like my external 2.5 sata drive case. It has a dual usb plug.
  13. I too was confused by this at first, but 990ma @ 4.5v is the high bandwidth rating for USB 3.0. There is a max bandwidth rating of 1.5a @ 7.5v, and a battery recharge rating of 1.8a @ 9v.

As I understand it, the device works at the max battery recharge capacity of the USB 3.0 spec.

14. captaincranky

Whoopee, this thing has a 2ms response time! I suppose we should conclude that this is more TN panel garbage.
  15. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 529

2MS is not too bad, you could still play games on the thing.
  16. captaincranky

So, you have monitors faster than 2ms?
  17. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

That's easy. I know a lot of Toshiba port replicators do come with one or two USB 3.0 ports so maybe you just have to find an appropriate dock for you machine (hopefully it will have them as well).

:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.