TechSpot

ASUS P5N-E SLI Ram Issue

By acolton33
Jan 6, 2009
  1. Good morning all...

I'm having trouble with some new RAM. My motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E SLI and it currently has (2) 1-Gig sticks of OCZ PC2-6400 installed. I just purchased 2 more sticks of OCZ PC2-6400 (OCZ2VU8002GK) but whenever I add both or just one I get a BSOD. Any ideas? Should I try flashing the BIOS? I saw that BIOS release 0901 adds support for different kinds of RAM.

Any help would be great. I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.

2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,266   +42

Flash the Bios, see what happens,

Passed that it would be faulty ram.

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

bad advice.

Read the updating ram guide in the guides forum. Pay close attention to Asus.

4. acolton33

acolton33 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I read through the guide for a second time and still don't have any ideas. It is the exact same RAM as already installed. Why would adding 2 more sticks cause a BSOD? Do I have any other options other than try flashing the BIOS? And could you explain why that is bad advice?? Thanks.

5. LinkedKube

Why not flash the bios, it seems he has the same ram sticks, both should have the same voltages and timings.

6. LinkedKube

acolton have you tried just using the B ram slots, instead of the A slots, which you were originally using with the first 2 gigs of ram.

7. acolton33

I'm sorry, I'm not completely familiar with which slots are A and which are B. I have two pairs like this...

II II <-- Are the first two slots A and the second slots B?

Right now, the Red slots are being used.

8. LinkedKube

As I've read number Asus manuals, as you can see the B slots would be the second set, or blue ones as you put here.

9. acolton33

I've put my 2 original sticks of ram in the B slots and everything is working fine. What should my next move be?

10. LinkedKube

ok so we know slots A and B work, your original sticks work in both, but does your new stick work in slots A or B. We're trying to rule out that something is wrong with your ram slots. Try your new stick(s) in slots A w/o your old(working) sticks, If your system doesnt boot, you should RMA the sticks.

11. acolton33

New sticks and old sticks both work fine separately in either slots. So I know all the RAM is good and all the slots are working properly. But when I put 3 or 4 in...I get a blank screen.

12. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Flash the BIOS. They probably released a new BIOS at some point because of lack of functionality with 4 sticks. My board, which is similar to yours, (P5N32-E SLI) didn't work with 4 sticks either until I flashed it to a newer version. Might be because ASUS boards are picky about RAM.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.