Asus P6T Deluxe performance issue - Sata II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

My first post here and I hope I am following all the rules.

I just built a machine with P6T Deluxe mobo, i7 920, 6GB ocz ddr3 ram, and nVidia 9800 Hybrid card. Running Vista64 ultimate. Ran PCMark x64 on it, and the results were not impressive when they were compared with a similar machine. In all cases HDD related scores were way lower than the competition. Updated the BIOS, checked BIOS settings (set to Enhanced mode IDE). Disabled SAS. No Raid. The system HDD is Seagate ST3500320AS. Still no change.

I have attached some sample scores below. My scores on the left are ridiculously low in comparison to a similar configuration. Any help that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated?

Thank you. Bobby

HDD - Windows Defender
19.35 MB/s 866.39 MB/s
HDD - gaming
14.35 MB/s 213.84 MB/s
HDD - importing pictures to Windows Photo Gallery
46.23 MB/s 338.45 MB/s
HDD - Windows Vista startup
15.18 MB/s 205.69 MB/s
HDD - video editing using Windows Movie Maker
25.02 MB/s 310.22 MB/s
HDD - Windows Media Center
50.43 MB/s 452.61 MB/s
HDD - adding music to Windows Media Player
6.73 MB/s 197.87 MB/s
HDD - application loading
3.66 MB/s 245.08 MB/s

what was your pcmark score. your hdd is ide? the numbers you posted are your transfer rates compared to others with similar systems?

Thanks.

My PCMark score was 6214 PCMarks. Competitive system score is 17311. Most of my detailed scores are comparable to the other system except for the HDD scores.

My HDD is Seagate ST3500320AS is SATA w. 3Gb/s, sustained 105 MB/s

The comparison is against an overclocked system (4Gz) but i figured that should not tremendously impact the HDD score.

The specs that are visible for for the competitive system are:
i7 920
4 GHz
Vista 32 bit
HDD Maxtor 7Y250M0 ATA Device
RAM 1 GB
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

A score that low is impossible, the competitive score must be 3dmark06 system score. I know because I to have something similar.

A score that low is impossible, the competitive score must be 3dmark06 system score. I know because I to have something similar.

Thank you. I will try running the same on my machine. Any other thoughts what could be wrong here? Is there any SATA II screwup that I could have done while setting up the machine? Is there an order in which the SATA ports should be used?

Bobby

the score that you saw had a faster hdd, Also the same chip is 30% faster than yours when its oc'd to 4ghz, that makes a significant difference when some programs utilize the hyperthreading.

I am still confused about such low score on HDD tests (as shown in my first message). All other scores are comparable to overclocked systems and the differences can be attributed to faster HDD and overclocked processor.

Someone mentioned that a 500W PSU may not be enough for this configuration. Is there any way that could effect the HDD performance?

Also, another common element between all higher score machines is that they are running Vista 32 bit. I wonder if this is a Marvell driver issue with 64 bit windows or just a vista 64 issue?

Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back