Asus P9X79 Pro

Dawn1113

Hi guys. My brother and I are building a gaming desktop. We've got an Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard and four matched sticks (4x2gb) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM to go with it (the kit is included in the motherboard's QVL).

The RAM kit we bought is dual channel. But as I understand from what I've read online so far, we'll still be getting all the advantages of a quad channel platform because this is the "architecture" of the Intel LGA 2011 platform. We got a 4-stick RAM kit so it should work, right?

Or have I gotten my information mixed up somehow? Can someone explain this stuff in terms that a novice would understand? Neither my brother nor I have any real experience with these things although he's assembled PCs from scratch before.

Many thanks.

Yes you're fine. There's no such thing as "dual channel" or "quad channel" RAM, as long as you have 4 identical sticks they will run in quad channel in your machine.

Sounds like a decent build, good luck!

Yes you're fine. There's no such thing as "dual channel" or "quad channel" RAM, as long as you have 4 identical sticks they will run in quad channel in your machine.

Sounds like a decent build, good luck!

Thanks for your reply. For a while there I thought my brother and I had dropped the ball on the RAM selection.

Wow, I'm getting hooked on this thing more and more as I go along. I really never thought I'd acquire a taste for learning about this stuff. But I get it now. It's not just about putting together a machine. It's almost like a creative effort.

I've always played console, but that doesn't seem half as exciting now.

Haha! It's is definitely creative and just as with art you will get people who feel very strongly about doing things one way or another. There are opposing camps on just about any aspect of building a machine and you should be willing to listen to the pro's and cons listed by each side before making a decision that best suits your needs.

I do warn you that this really is an addictive hobby... and can get pretty expensive if you don't set limits and expectations for yourself up front. if you buy cutting edge it won't be for long and you will have given up a large amount of money for the short time you were on the edge. On the other hand, if you're not building all that often then it may not be that big of a deal for you. When I started getting serious about building machines I had a new rig almost every six months... and always cutting edge. These days I'm lucky to get a new rig every two years and instead spend money doing small upgrades to keep my machines useful.

It's is definitely creative and just as with art you will get people who feel very strongly about doing things one way or another.

You mean discussions can get a bit nasty, sometimes? Yeah, I'm pretty sure they do. The same way people will sometimes passionately disagree about music, movies, books, etc: things that are ultimately decided on an individual basis.

I'll certainly take your advice about listening to the pros and cons and giving each view due respect and consideration. After all, I'm here to learn.

I wish somebody told me this 15 years ago :cool:.

An expensive hobby, yeah, I'm starting to see that. The CPU was a gift actually, but everything else except the video cards came out of my pocket.

Funny thing is, I'm pretty used to passing by shop windows, seeing a nice pair of shoes or a bag or a dress, and then going, "I'm going to die if I don't have that! " and then later have to deal with the horror of the credit card bill. Only now it happens to me when I pass by computer shops, too. :(

The other day a friend and I happened by this computer store and I saw this impressive-looking motherboard. I mean it actually looked sexy. I couldn't help but stop and gasp at the sight of it. I said "I gotta have that" and my gal pal gave me the exact same look she gives her car when it makes noises it shouldn't be making. :haha:

EDIT: My bro tells me that what I saw was "ROG", whatever that means. So sorry for the long-winded posts.

Back