Asus refreshes 15.6" Lamborghini VX7 gaming notebook

Matthew DeCarlo

Asus has unveiled its refreshed Lamborghini VX7, a gaming notebook inspired by the Lamborghini Murcielago LP640. We imagine the system's aesthetics will be a hit or miss with most folks and we tend to find car-themed computers to be unattractive. The 8.42lb machine will be offered with a black or orange "hood" and it's armed with a quad-core 2GHz Intel Core i7-2630QM processor alongside a 3GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M discrete graphics chip.

Asus doesn't list any stock configurations online, but the official spec sheet mentions up to 16GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM, various storage options including an HDD/SSD hybrid and dual drives, a Blu-ray writer, and a 1920x1080 15.6-inch LED-backlit display. You'll also find a 2MP webcam, an 8-in-1 card reader, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Gigabit Ethernet, one USB 3.0 and three USB 2.0 ports, VGA and HDMI-out, and an eight-cell battery.

It's unclear when the system will hit US shores, but "soon" seems likely as it's already available through various European etailers. Unfortunately, if the VX7's appearance doesn't scare you away, its luxury tax probably will. Pricing is around €2,000 (roughly equal to $2,850) for a model that's outfitted with a full 16GB of RAM, dual 750GB 7200RPM HDDs, and Blu-ray. Swapping one of the 750GB HDDs for a 120GB Intel X25-M jacks the price up to €2,200.

Permalink to story.

go bold or go home. you either like it or hate it. somehow i find the orange one resembles the actual car more than the black.

just wish there weren't so much plastic, especially with that kind of price tag.

Thats a ripoff. All Asus did was take a G73SW, cram it into what is essentially a G53 chassis with extra lights and and a Lambo badge, and charge you a few hundred dollars extra for it.

It looks cool but im sure you pay extra just because its associated with a specific car. 16 gb ram seems like to much, i have 4 gigs ddr3 and never use em all on windows 64 bit playing the newest games. I never built a laptop but that cpu is weak. For 2,850$ + I would think they would have a 3ghz hexcore.

The reason why they can charge so much for this is because it's different; no other laptop looks remotely similar. If you're willing to spend upwards of $2000 then chances are you'd want some degree of individuality. Sure, its hardware configuration can be bought for hundreds less ... but it looks so cool (or at least different)!

Well, aside from Alienwares which look very similar...

Overpriced in my opinion. But then again, all laptops with the word gaming near the marketing are stupidly overpriced/with silly options that make them overpriced (like way too much RAM as standard).

I don't mind the look of it, or the plastic case. If I had that kind of money and needed a desktop replacement I'd buy it or something similar to it. The most I've paid for a laptop is 2700 usd and that was back in 05. It wasn't nearly as aerodynamic.

Why are they branding it with LP640? I mean even the LP670 production ended last year .......... perhaps Lambo Avantador's theme would have looked better on it ;). None-the-less I think it would make a nice desktop replacement, except for one caveat, why would they put 3GB ram on a mid-range previous generation graphic solution on 15.6" screen ........ waste of resources IMO.

On a side note, will these lights turn red whenever the system hangs up or crashes ?

And With Your AAA Membership, You get Free Roadside Assistance

The trouble it takes the tow truck a long time to reach you from India......
I don't mind the look of it, or the plastic case. If I had that kind of money and needed a desktop replacement I'd buy it or something similar to it. The most I've paid for a laptop is 2700 usd and that was back in 05. It wasn't nearly as aerodynamic.
Um, how exactly might the aerodynamics of this new laptop impact performance? Other than the painfully obvious, by making lots of money, "fly" out of your wallet.

On a side note, will these lights turn red whenever the system hangs up or crashes ?
They probably turn into 4 way hazard flashers when it blue screens. You have to supply the triangle warning reflectors and the roadside flares.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think that that much piano black plastic would just amount to a scratch and fingerprint nightmare?

Luxury Asus-creations usually has a somewhat high price, although that bull-depicting badge do probably cost a fair share of money as well.

It's not a bad computer, per-say. It's just that ?2.000->?2.200 will get you something way stronger - just without being branded "Lamborghini."

captaincranky:
The trouble it takes the tow truck a long time to reach you from India......

Arrr ...... you mean boat (if it isn't torpedoed by the trigger happy .... you know) and then trucks.

I forgot to add one thing in my last post, i.e. Lambos are usually very loud 'look at me' type ............... so will this be loudenough to not let anyone nearby talk in a 'more civilized' way.

I would get the Gigabyte i7 Sandy Bridge Laptop over this any day. GT 550M > GT 460M.

Plus it doesn't cost and arm and a leg ><

treetops said:
It looks cool but im sure you pay extra just because its associated with a specific car. 16 gb ram seems like to much, i have 4 gigs ddr3 and never use em all on windows 64 bit playing the newest games. I never built a laptop but that cpu is weak. For 2,850$ + I would think they would have a 3ghz hexcore.

i7 2630qm @ 2GHz = 6329 in PassMark
Phenom II 1100T @ 3.3GHz = 6337 in Passmark

How is it weak?

Luxury Asus-creations usually has a somewhat high price, although that bull-depicting badge do probably cost a fair share of money as well.

It's not a bad computer, per-say. It's just that ?2.000->?2.200 will get you something way stronger - just without being branded "Lamborghini."
Yeah but, where's the fun in that?

Another manufacturer should hook up with Volkswagon, and field a more potent laptop than this, just for sheer spite and the embarrassment factor.

"He who lives by the product endorsement, dies by the product endorsement".

Back