Asus' ROG Phone 2 features a 120Hz OLED display, a Snapdragon 855 Plus, 12GB of RAM, and...

Polycount

Staff
In brief: Fans of mobile gaming may remember Asus' original ROG Phone, one of the first true "gaming smartphones" to include a high refresh rate display (90Hz). However, one gaming phone in its line-up clearly wasn't enough for Asus, because the company has been working on the ROG Phone 2 for a while now. Today, it got an official reveal reveal, giving us details about the device's hardware specs, display, and cooling capabilities.

This reveal was published on Asus' official ROG blog by the company's own Jeff Kampman.

"Just over a year ago, the Republic of Gamers infused our battle-hardened DNA into a phone for the first time ever. Now it's time to power up and go beyond," Kampman writes. "The ROG Phone 2 incorporates everything we've learned from our first foray into high-end gaming phones and then some to create another pocketable gaming powerhouse."

While we'll have to for reviews before we can say whether those claims hold water, the ROG Phone 2's currently-revealed spec list is pretty impressive. The device will feature a 6.59", 2340x1080p, 120Hz OLED display (a noticeable improvement over its predecessor).

This display (which doesn't include a notch) is composed of Gorilla Glass 6; as is the phone's rear, which does not allow for wireless charging, but does boost overall toughness and shatter-resistance. Speaking of durability, Asus says they've further reinforced their flagship gaming phone with a "hard-anodized, matte black metal band."

So, with most of the physical elements covered, let's talk specs -- what's under the hood of the ROG Phone 2?

The smartphone will include a Snapdragon 855 Plus SoC with a maximum 2.96GHz boost clock speed, 12GB of DDR4 RAM, up to 512GB of storage (the default is 128GB), two USB-C ports (one for charging or data transfer, one for accessories), one USB 3.1 Gen 2 port, a dual-lens rear camera (48mp and 13mp), an under-display fingerprint sensor, and two front speakers.

That's a pretty beefy set of components, and they're likely to generate quite a bit of heat when you push the ROG Phone 2 to its limits -- that's where Asus' "GameCool II heatsink system" comes into play.

The system uses a "3D vapor chamber" to dissipate heat, while also using a visible rear "Aerodynamic System" vent to further aid in cooling. The ROG Phone 2's 6,000mAh battery should also ensure that, even when the device is running at its hottest, you'll be able to game for longer than ever.

Asus also understands that not every potential customer is going to love the idea of touchscreen controls. That's where the company's extra accessories come in -- you can pop your phone into a dedicated "TwinView Dock" for more console-like gaming, or attach two Switch-like joysticks to either side of the phone for an improved portable experience.

Asus has not seen fit to announce the ROG Phone 2's official pricing or release date just yet, but recent reports point toward a starting price tag of $870 and a launch date of August 1, 2019.

Permalink to story.

Perfectly happy with my Google pixel 3a XL. I wish Google wasn't spying on me but, whatever, that's why the phone is priced the way it is

Must have features for me are USF 3.0 storage and no less than 12GB RAM maybe 16GB so that we can at least talk. Recently phones have slowed developing and started with color options game which I hate.

Perfectly happy with my Google pixel 3a XL. I wish Google wasn't spying on me but, whatever, that's why the phone is priced the way it is

Err no, Google is making a nice profit at the 479 price given the phone is you know, a low end phone.

I already got 12GB RAM, 256GB storage, 90hz display etc on my OP7 Pro for 750.

Kinda underscores what a value the op7 is considering this razr thing is supposed to be some absolute monster gaming phone and cant even deliver more RAM.

I've read gaming news for 30 years, noone makes list or reviews for mobile games so all I know about is angry birds, flappy bird, & .. eh .. bejeweled?..

More of concern to me than anything is the garbage screens ASUS uses in it's phones, at least in my ZenFone V. It's an AMOLED and I've barely had it a year, and the screen is so burnt out it's fast becoming useless. This tells me the QUALITY of their AMOLED panel is low, since I had AMOLED on my WinPhone (Lumia 928) and it took five years to burn out. The ASUS, not even a year and it's already worse.

Otherwise a nice phone for $200, but it makes me not trust ASUS for phones in the future. I've never used it for games anyway, but it was a huge upgrade from my Motorola budget Android phone, prior.

Are there any AMOLED phones that don't burn out? Heck, my Panasonic plasma is older than all the smartphones and it's still doing fine!

More of concern to me than anything is the garbage screens ASUS uses in it's phones, at least in my ZenFone V. It's an AMOLED and I've barely had it a year, and the screen is so burnt out it's fast becoming useless. This tells me the QUALITY of their AMOLED panel is low, since I had AMOLED on my WinPhone (Lumia 928) and it took five years to burn out. The ASUS, not even a year and it's already worse.

Otherwise a nice phone for $200, but it makes me not trust ASUS for phones in the future. I've never used it for games anyway, but it was a huge upgrade from my Motorola budget Android phone, prior.

Are there any AMOLED phones that don't burn out? Heck, my Panasonic plasma is older than all the smartphones and it's still doing fine!
I've had my Google pixel 3a XL since release and I haven't had any problems with it. It's not exactly cheap but it's better than the $1000+ phones that are becoming all too popular.

Only problem is that there aren't many great cases for it. I have an "OtterBox" for it is your standard one piece cheapo case.

So you think dropping 4gb of RAM will allow them to cut the price by $220-$370?!?

Can I have some of what you’re smoking?

Actually, this is EXACTLY what they did.

I'm holding it in my hands: 8G / 128G storage.

3,600 Chinese Yuan equals 523.08 United States Dollar.

Free shipping & came with a case too.

Both sim slots are 4G also.... a first for such a fan of dual-sim phones (for me).

Actually, this is EXACTLY what they did.

I'm holding it in my hands: 8G / 128G storage.

3,600 Chinese Yuan equals 523.08 United States Dollar.

Free shipping & came with a case too.

Both sim slots are 4G also.... a first for such a fan of dual-sim phones (for me).
And you feel the drop is solely because of dropping the RAM....perhaps do a bit more research and come back to us?

Back