TechSpot

Asus shares new details on its mini PC, leaves door open to customization

By Dave LeClair
Jun 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Back at Computex, Asus announced a new ViVoPC mini, but details of the company's tiny Windows 8 computer were pretty scarce. At that point, we knew it featured some built-in SonicMaster speakers, 802.11ac wireless support, and a metallic metal design. But...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,078   +1,346

I was always thinking of either buying one of these or assembling it myself. The only thing that stopped me was the video system. I'm not a hard-core gamer, but I need to feed a 30" screen, and sometimes for something more than just 2D desktop, like SC-2 at max settings. And none of the embedded graphics come close to being acceptable in this area.

If I could order such small system with GTX 780M, I would buy it, it would be enough for my screen and all my tasks. But such video card doesn't even sell separately, and no-one will offer it in anything other than over-bloated gamer's laptop.

Why?....such injustice in the world...

3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,210   +174

I've always liked these little guys for deploying DNS/DHCP on remote sites, and maybe to provide file storage to small office users.

4. My considerations are exactly the same: while not a hardcore gamer myself, I'd like at least a decent 3D gfx performance for my HTPC. I suppose sth like the AsRock VisionX would fit the bill perfectly, but it's too darn expensive (at least here in Europe)...