TechSpot

Asus Striker Questions

By Rab2140
Mar 20, 2008
  1. Hi all, in a few days i will be buying the asus striker extreme motherboard. I have heard great things about this board. But there has been compatabilty issuses with ram and such. I am planning to spend £300 on new pc stuff that is the asus board and a q6600 cpu but what ram do i need for my asus board?

Or is the asus really worth it? I heard that the ASUS P5N-E SLI 650 was getting around the same performace in games and thats all i need really and its half the price some suggestions would be great ty :D

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,087   +84 Staff Member

3. Rab2140

Rab2140 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 128

Nice one Zeno, :D many thanks im gonna go with 4GB corsair xms2 ddr2 6400c4 memory will post some test results when my new stuff comes :D ty

4. mica3speedy

mica3speedy TS Rookie Posts: 205

make sure if you are getting 4gb that you get 2x2gb sticks. the board doesn't like 4 sticks of ram without increasing the nb voltage. Do you plan on overclocking the q6600? if so it's not the best board for that; it's much better with the dual cores in that regard.

5. Rab2140

i was going to buy 4 sticks of 1gb i was going to overclock my q6600 in a few months so are you saying the striker isnt best? can you name a board in that price range?

6. mica3speedy

mica3speedy TS Rookie Posts: 205

look at some of the newer boards like the p35, x38, 780i, ect. They have full support for 65nm and 45nm quads.

7. Rab2140

Ah thanks mica i have decided to go for the Asus striker 2 formula 780i mobo it basically an asus striker 2 extreme but the new asus striker extreme 2 has ddr3 the one im getting is the ddr 2 version lol. I was thinking that my 8800 gtx was not going to be compatable with the striker 2 formula because it has pcie 2.0 slots . But Zenosincks says it will work fine in a pcie 2.0 slot so that is what board i am going for and ill post some pics when i get it all setup ;) cya all cheers for the help.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.