AT&T explains limits for 'unlimited' data plans

Leeky

AT&T finally shared its stipulations for unlimited data plans Wednesday. We already knew the provider was restricting the top 5 percent of its data consumers, but this announcement marks the first time it has actually detailed what those restrictions are.

The not-so-unlimited-tariffs on AT&T's 3G HSPA+ network are capped at 3GB while 4G LTE users get an extra 2GB, the company said in an announcement (summarized below). Smartphone users with an unlimited 3G or 4G data plan:

• You'll receive a text when your usage nears 3GB in one billing cycle.
  • If you exceed 3GB, your speeds will be reduced for the rest of that cycle.
  • The next time you exceed 3GB, your speeds will be reduced sans warning.
  • Folks with a 4G LTE unlimited plan are soft capped at 5GB instead of 3GB.

AT&T says the changes are required due to ever-increasing mobile data usage and the availability of the wireless spectrum becoming scarcer. The caps purportedly ensure the best possible mobile broadband experience for all users.

The caps are unlikely to affect 95 percent of AT&T users, while the remaining 5 percent will still be able to consume data beyond the soft caps -- albeit slower than usual.

Permalink to story.

Everyone knows this is BS. But that's ok AT&T, because we know you're hurting after the failed merger.

3GB? Jeez. What are you people doing that you need more than this on your phone? If you are using more than 3GB/mo on your phone then you should really step back and look at your life. Maybe you are missing out...

I dont have home internet, instead, Im using my cell data to tether to my laptop when I'm at home...I m not a big video gamer and don't download too much, so 2 gig is enough for me...but it's so easy to exceed it with constant browsing and one movie a week butch

The problem here isn't about the 3GB limit being to harsh or not, but that it applies to an unlimited data plan.

In my view, this isn't an unlimited plan if they limit it and sounds like a very foul move against an unsuspecting customer that doesn't read the fine print.

vlad4861 said:
I dont have home internet, instead, Im using my cell data to tether to my laptop when I'm at home...I m not a big video gamer and don't download too much, so 2 gig is enough for me...but it's so easy to exceed it with constant browsing and one movie a week butch

Got it. I never even considered tethering. If you are tethering then I can see where this limit would be a problem.

@butch :

Some of us use our phones to stream movies and music. My data usage is almost 8gb/month and I barely touch my phone.

Like mccartercar said. its related to data not the bandwith. They're only slowing it down, and 3gb is a lot. imagine why only 5 % are affected, and some of those are using it for tethering or watching movies. By doing this, ATT is making sure the rest vast majority are getting good speeds and are not affected.

The bigger concern is what happens 2-3 years from now as online apps and interactions become more costly from a data total point? When always on tech becomes the norm? The same is true for home internet as well as cellular. They aren't dumb and would rather placate 95% of people now, knowing that they can stiff 50% later.

For the people who think 3 GB is plenty, you guys do know that other people have more serious uses for their devices than watching stupid viral videos, right? For business and travel, they are immensely useful for tethering.

That amount of data isn't even one full DVD ... if AT&T can't handle the increased need for data, we need to find someone who can ...

Didn't someone once say that 128KB of ram was all a desktop computer would ever need? People who dismiss the thought that someone may actually need more then 3GB, obviously don't understand that some actually have a good reason. From past experience with similar matters, I'd be willing to bet that it affects more than 5% of users, also.

If they cap it at 3GB of data a month, I can do with a lot cheaper plan by another carrier, bye, bye AT&T!

Yep, time to switch carriers ... we need future thinking companies to give our business to. And, these companies need to concentrate on expanding the data allowed, not going backwards!

The point isn't the amount. The point is that it's wrong for them to pull in a bunch of customers with "unlimited data" and change the deal afterwards.

Watch an Etopia News video of Jane Foody explaining why she's using change.org to petition AT&T to stop throttling the "unlimited" data on the cell phone plan she's paying for, at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUfGTIixOlc

Instead of subscribing to satellite radio in my car, I subscribe to an "unlimited" data plan and stream Internet radio through my car instead. It's higher quality, and has a better selection of music. Just streaming radio in the car each day I have already reached 3.8GB this month. And that doesn't include navigation or VOIP calls or e-mail. It's quite easy to go above 3GB. Has nothing to do with not having a life.

If my ISP at home tried this crap, I'd drop them immediately. Unfortunately AT&T still has the best data speeds and best plans for me. :/

well obviously people in the remote areas with no easy internet use their phone as their internet to play youtube or netflix etc. 3GB could be gone through on a weekend night easily.

Screw AT and T. Back in July I got a letter and text stating I was tethering. I was not. I went on vacation and finally had an opportunity to use my IPHONE for what I bought it for and what they advertised it as....A SMART PHONE! You can watch Netflix, Stream music, email, connect to your home computer, use this app and on and on. Well I watched movies in the airport, youtubed...watch movies at my relatives house with a cable hooked to TV...it was cool.

That month I used for the first time....2.3 GIGS. All other months before always around 1.1 or less gigs. They began to send me text and letters every other day until I had enough and switched to T-Mobile. Got an HTC AMAZE with unlimited text and talk for 59 bucks and 10 gigs of data for 60 bucks which include tethering. I am tethering right now on my iPad and my HTC AMAZE is charging in my patrol car. Sorry AT and T. Rather pay someone else for what you were trying to steal from me.

Good bye, whish I had never met you.

Look forward to the class action lawsuit. I will sign my name on it.

UNLIMITED MEANS UNLIMITED.

"The "unlimited" refers to data, not bandwidth."

wrong.. if you are only allowed to download 3-5 gb's of data then it is a cap on data. capping ones bandwidth would be only allowing you to download at a certain speed all of the time.

other than that ridiculousness.. broadband isp's, and cell providers are the only service companies in the world that for some reason can get away with punishing their customers for using the service in a way that the companies advertised it to be used as.

MMO gaming companies wouldn't be able to get away with cutting you off for the rest of the month because you are enjoying their game too much. however also MMO companies tend to invest in increasing capacity when demand increases.

Back