AT&T just purchased $1.9 billion worth of spectrum from Verizon

By Justin Kahn
Sep 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. AT&T has been struggling to expand its 4G LTE network, and today reports say the company is dropping $1.9 billion in order to do so. The chunk of cash will buy unused spectrum from its biggest competitor, Verizon.

Read more
  2. soldier1969

soldier1969 TechSpot Booster Posts: 244   +43

Love my 36 mbs down 17 up speed on AT&T 4G LTE here in the south.
  3. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 616   +185

I'd love to know how this is going to help rural customers. Like AT&T, Verizon has been hoarding spectrum for years in order to keep wireless data artificially constrained and prices high..why would they change now?? Even when LTE becomes ubiquitous nationwide I wouldn't expect carriers to do the right thing and make unlimited, unthrottled 3G data available to consumers. They'll reconfigure their networks to route as much LTE data as possible over the 3G spectrum - you wait and see.
  4. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 160   +22

Who cares about phone download speeds? Here Where I live we have computers and tablets and TV's connected to something called the internet and we download and watch movies on them not a 4" phone screen.
  5. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

Damn AT&T, lazy fat cat!!
  6. Swiss422

Swiss422 Newcomer, in training

Anyone know how much Verizon paid for that spectrum in the first place? Technically spectrum is an asset of the USA and its citizens, and it was provided to Verizon to build out its network as a service to the country. Seems they used it to make a huge profit instead...a profit that by rights ought to belong to the American people.
  7. aspleme

aspleme TechSpot Member Posts: 50

They are not going to route LTE data over 3G if they can avoid it... LTE is cheaper for the carrier than 3G. They aren't improving LTE tech so you can have faster speeds, they are improving it so they can transfer more data in less time.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.