AT&T: Nokia Lumia 900 to arrive April 8 for $99

Jos

Staff

AT&T has confirmed that Nokia's upcoming Windows Phone device for the U.S., the Lumia 900, will launch on April 8th for just $99.99 on contract. The handset will be one of the most affordable flagship devices AT&T has ever sold thanks to what is reportedly a huge investment from Nokia and Microsoft. In contrast, a typical flagship phone will sell for $200 or more at all major U.S. carriers.

As previously reported, the device will have a 4.3-inch ClearBlack AMOLED display, a 1.4GHz processor, 512MB of RAM, an 8-megapixel Carl Zeiss camera lens, and a high capacity 1830 mAh battery. It will ship with Microsoft's Windows Phone 7.5 operating system and will be compatible with AT&T's LTE network.

The Lumia 900 marks Nokia's second Windows Phone to land in the states this year. Its lower-end sibling, the free-on-contract Lumia 710, is getting decent reviews from users and has reportedly been selling well through T-Mobile since its launch in January. With an aggressive pricing strategy and marketing campaign, alongside availability through a larger carrier, Nokia hopes the higher-end Lumia 900 will be abble to steal some market share away from the iPhone and a host of Android smartphones currently dominating sales.

The phone will be available in matte black and cyan blue, while a white version arriving on April 22. An HSPA+ version of the Lumia 900 supporting 42Mbps connections will hit global markets sometime in Q2.

Permalink to story.

I have one. I tried to get the cyan, but those seem to be a rarity.

(Can't really say how, all I can say is I know "people" inside AT&T.)

The most impressive thing is, perhaps, the screen. I've never actually seen Nokia's ClearBlack technology in person, but I must say it is almost like AMOLED 2 of some sort. In other words: <i>very</i> good. Especially considering the fact that it also greatly increases visibility even on direct sunlight (still not e-ink though).

The second thing might be LTE. I've owned 2 Windows Phones before this one: The Quantum and the Focus. I thought WP7 was fast in the sense of getting data from the internet, such as fetching or uploading pictures from Facebook, or streaming music with my Zune Pass.

Boy I was wrong.

This thing flies. Live tiles update quicker, I've noticed. Local scout loads and find your nearby places a lot faster. It is, of course, due to the faster speeds. I live in Coral Springs, Florida, which is about 3-4 hours down south from Orlando, Florida--so that you can kind of mentally map where I live. AT&T never announced LTE in this market further south; the actual launch of LTE was more up north. So the speeds I'm getting are not the actual ones when their roll-out is complete. How much am I getting on average with the 900?

27 Mbps.

Average. I once got 33 Mbps, and, not surprisingly, I was up north in a bar. I might be crazy, but ever since I got this phone, I am constantly testing the speeds to see whether it improves or not. Although I haven't seen anything more than 33 Mbps yet, the actual every day average is in the upper 20s. Very impressive.

Then again, this is where I live. AT&T might not be as good depending where you live. I'v found AT&T is garbage up north (of the country), than down south. They say it is also better out west, in places such as California. Your speeds may vary. I also haven't tested it against another Verizon LTE device. As soon as it is released, I'm sure TechSpot will come through with all the comparative info though.

As for the device itself, well, it's great. The design, is qute minimalistic-looking, and equally elegant. Don't let the screen size fool you; the devices looks sleek, not bulky. It's actually sexy. No, really.

I also love the FFC, to my shock. I was never the type of person that ever cared for FFC, but now I find myself using Tango to video-chat with my girlfriend more often than I thought I ever would.

Everything else is as you'd expect from WP7. Now it just a lot faster. I didn't think that was possible, but to those who will get one, you will see (especially those of you who are upgrading from 1st Gen devices).

Back