AT&T offering to double data on its Mobile Share Value plans

Himanshu Arora

Staff

AT&T announced during the weekend that it is doubling the amount of data users get with its Mobile Share Value plans. This means that the company's current 15, 20, 30, 40, and 50GB plans have now been doubled to 30, 40, 60, 80, and 100GB, respectively, at no additional charge. The promotion applies to new and existing customers as long as you sign up by October 31. 

So for $130 per month, the carrier is now offering 30GB of shared data instead of 15GB. Similarly, for $150, $225, $300, and $375 per month, you'll now get 40GB, 60GB, 80GB, and 100GB, respectively. The 10GB Mobile Share Value plan is not eligible for the promotion.

"With these new double data plans, and smartphones for $0 down with AT&T Next, there’s never been a more affordable time to be with AT&T", the company's Mobility chief marketing officer David Christopher said in a statement. The promotion runs till October 31st, and is available to both new and existing users.

It's worth mentioning that you can keep your new promotional shared data amount as long as you want, as there is no expiration. However, if you need to change your plan after the promotional period ends, you will need to select from the previous Mobile Share Value offers.

AT&T's Mobile Share plans offer unlimited text, talk, and international messaging, while providing a pool of data that can be used across multiple devices, although there are extra charges, ranging from $15-$40 per month, for each device you add. However, at this time new customers or those who activate a new line of service with a smartphone on AT&T Next will receive a $100 bill credit.

Permalink to story.

Not bad. I'd fall into the $225 mo. plan. But my current carrier offers me unlimited data for at least $50 less than that.

$130+($15x4) = $190 for 4 lines with 30gb shared.

T-Mobile currently has $140 for 4 lines @4.5gb/line. Whether that 12gb extra is worth the $50/month will depend on people's usage.

Whether you add TMO EIP or AT&T Next, it'll come out to $27/month for 24 months for a $650 smartphone.

What they don't tell you is that you will never be able to upgrade your phone again without using their highly inflated "Next" program. If I used the next program for an iphone 6 for instance, I am charged $31 a month for 24 months working out to be about $750 for my new iphone. If you chose not to use the Next program and bought an iphone with a 2 year contact at $199, Then each phone is an additional $40 a month. So here are the numbers.. The $130 a month is strictly for the plan without any phones (Which makes no sense). Then its $160 if you bring your own phones or buy them outright ($130 + $15 for each phone) Or $210 a month if you buy a phone with a 2 year contract ($130 +$40 for each phone) ... Very shady pricing if you asked me and is geared toward confusing customers into giving up their old grandfathered plans for much more expensive ones. All I can say is read the fine print and make sure you ask questions before giving up your grandfathered plans.

Here is the fine print from the website "To continue to receive a discount, upgrade with AT&T NextSM, bring your own smartphone or pay full price for a new smartphone."

Don't see how its shady. Very clear and up front in the details. Always best to just buy your phone out right no matter which carrier you deal with. Phone manufacturers are in need of delivering phones at a lower cost. As long as customers continue to purchase the higher priced brand names, live with what you get.

Back